Chapter Twenty-Five

Penelope was not pleased when Baz and Simon came back into the flat soaking wet and red-faced. She had just gotten back from class and had wanted to make a cup of tea and watch some telly before doing her homework. She realized that she had been fucking stupid to think that she would get a moment of peace around here.

"Basil, what did you do?" she asked as the boys removed their boots, coats, and scarves and put them by the front door. 

Baz raised an eyebrow at her. "Why must you assume it was my fault? Snow's the one who insisted that we go outside and play in the snow like fucking children." Simon blushed and folded his arms across his chest, but then Baz laughed and kissed his cheek. "And he's the one who played the leg card so he could smash snow in my face. Who's the plotter now?"

Simon rolled his eyes.

Penny had to admit that they looked happy. Even though she was right pissed that they brought water and ice with them into the flat, she knew that it was a small price to pay for Simon's happiness. Baz was good for him now. Back then, when they first started going out last year, Penny liked him enough but didn't think that it was healthy. It was an intense romance that swept them both off their feet and hardly gave them time to actually know each other. But them being friends after all that time apart helped them understand each other better as people and not just as lips and frantic hands. So now, seeing them so happy (seeing Simon so happy) she didn't quite mind the snow or the water or everything else that came with it. 

"I think I'll go have a shower. I'm fucking freezing," Baz sighed. "Want to join, Snow?" 

"I'm right here!" Penny protested, waving her arms.

Baz chuckled. "I know, Bunce. I was joking. Go have your tea and your telly. We'll get out of your hair." 

Baz walked to the bathroom and shut and locked the door with a satisfying click, leaving Simon and Penny alone. She beamed at him, expecting him to beam right back at her, but his face fell as soon as Baz was out of the room. He reached down to lift up his pant leg, inspecting his leg for something. 

"Alright there, Simon?" Penny tried to hide the concern in her voice. 

He stood upright again. "Yeah. Just...wore myself out a bit. My leg..."

She was at his side in an instant, wrapping an arm around his waist and guiding him over to the sofa. She sat him down on the couch and took a seat next to him, watching him under her furrowed brow.

"Are you okay? Why didn't you tell Baz?"

He shrugged. "Didn't––I don't want him to worry. Was my idea, anyway." 

She frowned at him. "You're an idiot," she said lovingly. 

"I know." 

"Shall I make you some tea?" 

"Yeah, thanks. Should I...what do you want to watch?"

"I was thinking Doctor Who, she said. Been a while, hasn't it?" she replied, getting up to pour him a cup. She grabbed some Advil out of the cabinet, too, just in case. She knew that he probably didn't want to bother her with it, but she could tell that he was in pain. 

"I'll get it up and running," he said. 

When she'd poured his tea, she came back over and handed it to him, along with the pills. He frowned at her for a second before his frown turned into an embarrassed smile. 

"Thanks, Pen. You're the best," he said. He popped the pills into his mouth and washed them down with the tea. 

"I know," she said, curling up by his side, throwing a blanket across both of them. She didn't really care that he was wet because at least he was here both physically and mentally. At least she didn't have to worry about him going into one of his fits where he stared blankly ahead like the world didn't exist––like he didn't exist. Now all she had to worry about were his legs and making sure that he wasn't having too much fun. It was a relief, honestly. 

They watched the show for about five minutes before Penny remembered that she'd wanted to talk to him about something. She turned to face him, lifting her head from his shoulder. He squeezed her arm as if to say, what's up?

"New Years Eve," she said, randomly. "We should do something fun." 

He furrowed his brow at her. "Isn't that...soon?" 

She nodded. "Yeah, tomorrow."

"Bit late to plan a party." 

"I don't want a party, anyway. Micah's coming in tonight and I thought we could all do something. Just the four of us. It'll be such fun, Simon." 

"Micah's coming?" 

She laughed. "I've told you, like, a thousand times, Simon. We've had it planned for ages." 

He frowned again and took a sip of his tea, obviously upset that he'd forgotten. 

"Anyway, we can go out. Go clubbing, maybe."

"Isn't that...it's dancing, innit?" 

She nodded.

"Can't dance. It'll––my legs."

She wanted to face palm. "Shit, of course. You don't have to dance! They have seats and booths and things. If you get too tired, you could always just sit down." 

He shrugged and pull her closer into himself like he was trying to show her how much he loved her with his touch. She smiled in the warmth of it, trying to show him just how much she loved him, too. "I'll think about it. Okay?" 

She nodded.

He was trying again. Against all odds, Simon was trying to live a normal life and embrace his friends and the experiences that waited for him in the world. Penny's heart soared at the thought of it all, and soared even more when she realized that, at least with this, he was trying for her.