Chapter Three: Opening the Door

The next day, after they had finished their work, Dosu, Kin, and Zaku met together in their room. Dosu remained silent as they recovered from chasing a cat across the village. Ultimately they had been failed and did not receive their pay.

"We have a new mission," said Dosu.

"What is it, cleaning toilets?" asked Zaku.

"Nothing of the sort," said Dosu. "I mean a mission that is part of our plan. When we are allowed a day off, we must seek the chance to observe Naruto Uzumaki."

"The loud kid? Why?" asked Kin.

"He seems to have a reputation as a troublemaker," said Dosu. "If properly motivated, he could make for an excellent distraction."

"Fine, but that won't work more than once or twice," said Kin.

"So it won't Kin," said Dosu. "I, therefore, suggest we lay out a basic plan for freedom and a return to the Sound Village. The first step to attaining this was getting out of our cells. We have achieved this, albeit in a restricted form."

"We ought to get these armbands off next," said Zaku, tugging at his.

"No, Zaku, we should not," said Dosu. "The moment they come off the Leaf Village will know we have turned on them. We must achieve our plan without taking them off until the last minute."

"Fine," said Zaku. "So, what is our plan, then?"

Dosu remained silent for a long moment. "Lord Orochimaru will not accept us back as failures. He does not tolerate them. Therefore we must achieve some great feat while here on his behalf. Something that will earn back our place in the village."

"What do you have in mind?" asked Kin.

"That is the next thing we must learn." decided Dosu. "In what spare time we have, Kin, I will focus my attention on learning all I can of the Village's secrets. Eventually, I may find some weakness we may exploit. Perhaps to steal some technique or other.

"Zaku, you will focus your attention on the village's defenses. The areas where guards are posted, how many. Common blind spots. I want you to come up with a fast way to get in and out of the village. But don't do anything reckless, just case a few joints and scatter them out.

"Above all else, we must not raise suspicions. Do not attempt to go anywhere where someone of your age wouldn't go normally.

"Just observe."

"Yeah, I got you," said Zaku. "We have to pick our time."

"And what about me?" asked Kin.

"I want you to befriend Naruto Uzumaki," said Dosu.

Kin froze. She hadn't seriously just heard that. Clearly, she'd accidentally listened to her own bells. "You want to say that again, Dosu?"

"I want you to befriend Naruto Uzumaki," said Dosu flatly. "We need some means of manipulating him."

"Oh, so just because I'm a girl I get stuck with babysitting the brat!" snapped Kin in a fury. She couldn't believe this. Who did Dosu think he was?

"He's not all that much older," said Zaku, trying to be helpful.

"I'm not choosing you because you're a girl," said Dosu. "I'm choosing you because you are uniquely suited for this task."

"How am I better at it?" asked Kin. If this had anything to do with feminine wiles, Dosu would lose his one good eye.

"The job requires subtlety," said Dosu. "That is not Zaku's specialty. Establishing a friendship also requires time and effort that I will not have. I will be working on plans. That leaves you."