Chapter Sixteen: Princes and Paupers

The next morning was a bright sunny day. Kin walked just behind the royal carriage, hands behind her head as she enjoyed the breeze. Still, there was her mission to think about. How to go about it?

Hikaru was sitting on the back of the carriage, playing the device he called his Gameboy busily. He didn't pay any attention to the rolling green hills or beautiful trees around them. One wondered then, what the point of going on tour was at all.

Kin decided she ought to just try talking to him. "So, Hikaru, is it? You do know that Zaku could have killed you in ten seconds flat, don't you?"

Hikaru said nothing.

"No, seriously," said Kin. "He was five seconds away from blowing up that carriage. He'd send a wave of sound from one hand and bam." She punched her palm. "The whole thing would be dust, and we'd be out of a job.

"Just telling you."

Hikaru looked up in irritation. "In real life, he'd be dead. I got him first."

Kin shrugged. "With a fake arrow. And even if it were real, it would have bounced off his headband."

"No, it wouldn't," said Hikaru.

Kin tapped here headband, keeping a confident look. Inwardly she hated this brat more by the moment. "These things are solid steel. They're like armor. But let's say it did get through. You'd have just shot your own employee. Dosu and I would be pretty upset and would probably defend ourselves.

"Do you think you, your servants and your dad could take us?"

"Well, I..." Hikaru sat up. "It wasn't even a real arrow.'

"Yep. And that's why there wasn't a fight," said KIn. She paused as she had an idea. "You want to learn how to throw the real thing?"

Hikaru looked up in surprise. "What?"

"Kunai, I mean," said Kin, before seeing him about to refuse. She looked away. "Nevermind, you'd probably hurt yourself. I'd hate you get in trouble with your dad."

"Don't talk like you know me, peasant!" snapped Hikaru. "I can learn to thrown kunai just fine."

Kin smiled. "Great, we'll try it next time we stop."

Kin missed Naruto.

When she'd offered to help him with his taijutsu he'd gone and been there for every lesson. He'd eaten up what she offered like candy, even when she didn't do a very good job of teaching. He had a work ethic.

So when Hikaru didn't show up, she felt a surge of irritation. There he was, playing his Gameboy like usual. She'd put aside time for him, and he was just wasting it. Granted she did it to manipulate him, but he didn't know that.

What else could she do? Kin walked toward him, controlling her irritation. God, these people were useless. "Hey, Hikaru, I though we had an arrangement."

He looked up from his Gameboy in irritation, then back down. "I don't want to learn to throw some stupid kunai. That's your job, isn't it?"

What a little brat. Naruto would have just flat out refused her and not wasted her time in the first place. But here she was, having to convince him to work with her. "Well, it is a pretty important skill. It could save your life, but I guess you aren't up to it."

Hikaru ignored her. Okay, so appealing to pride didn't work. The kid didn't have any pride, just entitlement.

"I think it sounds like a fine skill to learn, Hikaru," said Prince Michiru. "Just imagine how proud your grandfather will be if you learn it.