Chapter-2 A Pleasant Beginning

Arabella

It's already lunch time and I must say my day so far was good. I am glad our floor has its own coffee machine and also a snack vending machine. So this means I don't need to go down to the cafeteria to have lunch. I will grab some granola bar and make a cup of coffee for myself which will be enough for lunch. I guess I will get a sandwich or something from tomorrow onwards. Everything will be better than using the elevators again and again. Sitting on my desk right outside Mr. Jason's office I recall my conversation with Mrs. Johnson this morning...

"Arabella welcome to 'Garcia and sons'. I hope your journey with us will be a pleasant one...and I really hope we will also be pleased to have you on board. As of now you will be training under me but your desk will be the one outside the head of the department Mr. Jason's office. He prefers to keep a close eye on the new trainees. That's his own way of watching your work. But of course my reports will be the most important thing when it comes to deciding your future in this department." I nodded and took in all that she had to say.

I somewhat liked our first meeting, she was neither over sweet nor too rude. She was just straight forward and her smile was a sight to behold. Yes she smiled at me once she was done giving me the basic instructions and I just loved it. I am lucky that I don't have to deal with my department head Mr. Jason Garcia today. Mrs. Johnson told me that he was out of city for some personal reasons and will be back by tomorrow. This means I will have my first encounter with him tomorrow. Though Victor told me that he is a nice and easy going man but I am still nervous to meet him. May be the fact that he is the owner's cousin is making me nervous. But anyway I guess it's good in a way that I get to meet my reporting manager and department head one at a time.

After lunch I was again busy with reviewing the reports and also assisted Mrs. Johnson to a meeting. Since I will be working under her, for the first month I have to take notes of every meeting I attend with her. Then proof read and mail them to her, Mr. Jason and also our CEO Mr. Ethan. I came to know that he goes through the minutes of meeting of every meeting held by every department. My eyes were wide on hearing this piece of information, I mean c'mon one man going through the report about every damn meeting that too from each and every department. I wonder why he is always so grumpy, not that I have seen him yet but that's what Victor described him as.

It was 5 in the evening now which means my shift ends. I go to Mrs. Johnson's office asking her if I can leave. She told me that I can and also that I don't need to take permission at 5pm. I am free to leave without asking or informing anyone. Mrs. Johnson said that if she needs me after 5 then she will let me know earlier. I was really happy to know this rule of the company.

Just as I gathered my things from my desk the elevator opened, the only thing that irritated me the whole day was the fact that my desk was just in front of the elevator and each time it opened I would hear its ding sound. For someone who is scared of getting in a lift the ding sound throughout the day is enough to give goose bumps. But right now the person who walked out of the lift was Victor, and I was so glad to see him. I ran to him excited like a little kid who gets to see her parents after the first day of school. In the flow I hugged him, and instantly I realized what I did. It all happened within a fraction of second...me hugging Victor...he getting stiff...me pulling away and just then him wrapping his arms around me returning my hug. The hug lasted for merely seconds but it felt amazing. After all this was the first time I got to hug my childhood crush, not to forget my only crush. Looking into Victor's eyes suddenly I felt shy, I could feel my cheeks turning red but thankfully Victor didn't waste time in making me comfortable...

"I am guessing someone had a nice first day..." he smiled and said. I nodded my head excitedly and replied...

"Better than nice."