Eight

Finally, the siblings reached the sheriff station and told them they needed to use their phone. Darry was speaking to the cops while Trish called their parents. Maggie removed her sweater and threw it away, rubbing her hands on her now bare arms as she sat down beside Trish while she spoke to their parents.

"...will you please tell Dad to stop shouting?...I understand that mother... I'm just trying to tell you where we are... They're both right here, I told you we're okay...It's the Poho county sheriff station about 20 miles outside of Pertwilla... Because we'll be home before you could get here..." Maggie stood up, seeing a lot of posters of missing people and shivered. Darry, who finished talking to the cops had walked up and rubbed her shoulders to keep her warm while he too looked at the posters.

Finally Trisha hung up, walking up to the two and put her arm around Maggie's shivering shoulders.

"Dad..." She mutters.

"Thought I wrecked the car?" Darry asks. Trish nods.

"Are they on their way?" Maggie asks.

"We're going to go home once the paperwork is done ok?" Darry says patting her head.

"Maggie?" A voice says, causing the three to turn around and see a woman at the doorway.

"Maggie Jenner, right?" She says approaching them.

"Jezelle what are you doing here? Jezelle!" The sheriff says as he follows to her the three. She paused, looking Maggie over a minute.

"Maggie. Maggie Jenner." She huffed as the two siblings inched closer to their baby sister.

"Jezelle Gay Hartman how do you do?" She says shaking Maggie's hand.

"Jez, come on they've been through a lot ok?" The sheriff says trying to pull the woman away from them.

"Maggie, I really need to talk to you, if you could just spare me a minute." Jez says.

"Jezelle likes to think she's the resident psychic around here she helped us out on a missing persons case..."

"you think I could just talk to these kids by myself?" Jez says to the officer.

"You go home, turn off that police scanner and go to bed."

"No, it's ok sheriff." Maggie says, pausing them all.

"I'd like to hear what she has to say." Maggie says.

"Thank you honey." Jez says as the officer shook his head with a sigh but left it alone, going back to his desk to answer a call.

Jezelle lead Maggie to a chair and sat down beside her while her siblings stood on the other side leaning against the wall while they looked over Jezelle worriedly.

"You don't have to believe I'm psychic you don't have to believe a word I say. But I've come a very long way to see you." She says patting Maggie's hand.

"You know I don't think she should be talking to anybody right now." Trish says.

"You found all those bodies down in that cellar. I saw them too." She says.

"You did..." Maggie whimpers. "How?"

"Dreamed it." She replies. "I dream a lot of things. You see the cats yet? I saw you with all those cats too." Jezelle says.

"Y-Yeah..."

"The diner... That was you you called us." Darry says.

"She called? You called?" Maggie says.

"Your brother wouldn't let me speak to you but I had to warn you."

"...about him?"

"It's not a man honey." She replies warily before sighing, taking Maggie's hands in her own.