Chapter Eight

Who would do this? And why would they do it? Is it someone I know?

Adora raked her brain, trying to find an answer. She was discharged from the hospital that afternoon. But what shocked her and her mother was that someone cleared her hospital bill.

"Danielle," Her mother called as she entered Adora's room. "Take these pills. They will ease your pain."

She sat up on her bed to take the pills and glass of water from her mother's hands. Her entire body was swollen and in pain. The wound on her right thigh was swollen and black and blue from the stitches she received earlier.

It would be weeks before she could return to work. If the person hadn't paid her hospital bill it would have been a small fortune to pay. She was thankful. But someone paying a stranger's bill isn't common. She wanted to know who the person was.

"Mom you said someone wanted to talk to me earlier." She said after taking her medicine.

"Yes. Some Macaiah. He said he was the one trying to help you last night but you ran away. He has your things and wants to return them."

With a sigh, Adora rested the glass on the nightstand. "I'm not trusting anyone right now. Who knows, it could be the robbers trying to get me. I don't want to talk to him."

"So what am I supposed to do? He said he'd call back by five. And as you can see young lady," Patricia held up her phone so Adora could see the time. "It's five minutes to the hour."

Adora turned and faced the other side of her bed. "Tell him I'm sleeping or something."

Patricia sighed, "Alright child." She sat at the edge of the bed and patted Adora's head. "Rest. I'll bring your dinner soon."

Adora smiled even though it pained her. "Thanks mom." Her mother kissed her cheek then went out of her room, leaving her to rest. It wasn't long before she felt the pills after effects kicking in; she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

•~•~•

"Sir the jet is ready for departure."

Kenneth checked his timepiece.

17:15

He looked at the pilot. "Mr Williams, give me ten minutes to make a call then we can leave."

Mr Williams nodded. "Of course sir. I will be in the flight deck waiting for your orders."

"Ok." The man and flight attendants left as Kenneth reached for his phone and dialed Mrs Renard's number. It was some time before she answered.

"Hello, good evening."

"Good evening Mrs Renard. This is Macaiah. We spoke earlier today."

"Oh hello. Adora just fell asleep."

"Oh... Alright. Well I'll tell you and you can relay the message to her. Is there a place that you or Adora would like to meet to collect her things?"

"I'll find out from her and let you know soon."

"Alright. Enjoy the rest of your evening Mrs Renard."

"You too. Goodbye."

"Bye." Aftering ending the call he settled into his seat and prepared himself for the long journey to Finland. He motioned one of the flight attendants to come. "Tell the pilot I'm ready."