Chapter Nine

The doorbell chimed as Adora entered the fancy café. The dimmed lights and classy decor of brown leather and gold accents made a for a dainty, upper class atmosphere. The soft classical jazz music played over the indistinct chatter of the patrons as they enjoyed a relaxing afternoon.

Adora stepped in further, the cool A/C was a relief from the sweltering heat outside. She agreed to meet the man here whilst her cousin waited outside. She had no clue of who she was going to meet as she look aimlessly around the café lounge.

She held her phone to call the man at the number her provided when she got an incoming call. She answered, "Hello."

"Good afternoon Adora. I'm here to give you your belongings on behalf of Mr. Micaiah."

"Ok. Where are you?"

"Turn around and walk straight ahead. I'm four tables away."

She did as directed. Is that him? She wondered. A man, dressed prim and proper sat at the table near the window, looking directly at her. A friendly smile crossed his intense features as he waved her over. She neared him, not knowing what to say or expect.

The man stood when she reached the table. "Hello again Adora. It's nice to meet you." He stretch out his hand to shake hers, "My name is Christian."

Although she was anxious, she smiled. "It's nice to meet you too Christian."

They sat after introducing themselves. After ordering some drinks, conversation carried on. "As I said earlier, " Christopher began, "Mr Micaiah couldn't be here to give you your belongings. There were some matters that needed his attention overseas. But he sends his regards."

"Okay."

The man sighed as he settled into his seat."How are you? Has everything been well since the attack?"

She nodded, "Yes." Other than a few bad dreams days after the attack, she was fine. She couldn't wait to return to work.

"Good to know. We were only trying to help. We figured you thought we were robbers." He fixed his tie; the diamonds in his wedding band shone in the afternoon rays.

"How's your leg?" His face mirrored concern, "Mr Micaiah saw you limping while trying to escape."

"Oh. It's fine now, just a bit stiff. I was stabbed in thigh in the midst of the scuffle."

"Oh my. Well the good news is that they were caught. And as we speak, all of them are serving four years in jail."

"Really? Thank God. That's good to know." It was brief silence of them sipping on their drinking and looking around before Christopher spoke again."I suppose you're wondering where your things are. Do you drive?"

She shook her head, "No."

"Okay. You might need a taxi. Mr Micaiah returned your belongings and added something extra." He smirked. "If you'd follow me outside, you'd see what I'm talking about."

"Okay."

She followed him, although anxious and uncertain. Christopher the door open and motioned her to leave before him, "After you." She thanked him with a small smile and went out onto the bustling sidewalk. He made a call; minutes later, three men- tall, dark and strapping, emerged from a sleek Mercedes Benz parked across the road. Each one carrying a big box in hand.

"Ms. Adora," Mr Christian declared, which brought her back to her current situation. "Allow me to introduce to my guards, Mr Edmond, Mr. Motley and Mr Bennett."

Adora looked over and waved at the men, a slight smile brighten her features, "Hello." The men greeted her in return.

"Now I'm sure you're wondering why they're carrying boxes." Adora nodded. Christian's smile widened. "These boxes are for you."