Chapter Seven

Someone knocked on Kenneth's office door. "Who is it?" Kenneth asked.

"It is Christian."

"Come in."

Christian entered the office and put a file on Kenneth's desk.

"What took you so long?" Kenneth asked him. He had sent him to have a background check done on the emergency contact found in Adora's purse. It shouldn't have taken him long.

"Sir, one of your guards from last night found one side shoe belonging to Ms Adora." Christian handed Kenneth the small, black pumps.

"Oh." He gave the shoe back to his assistant, "Well you know what to do. Call one of those designer brands. Tell them to send a rep with about $20,000 worth of shoes by one 'o'clock. I'll choose a couple and you'll add them to the box."

His assistant nodded, "Yes my prince."

Kenneth tapped the file that Christian put on his desk. "It'll take long to read through this. What have you found out about Mrs Renard?"

"She recently became a widow. She works at a nursing home. Ms Adora is her only child. She's a law abiding citizen and has no offences."

"Okay." Suddenly, Christian's phone rang; he excused himself to answer the call. It wasn't long before he re-entered the office. "My prince, Ms Petal is here to see you. She is outside at the security booth."

Kenneth's brows furrowed, "Petal? At my house? Who gave her my address?" For the time he has known Petal, he always met her at the Palace. It wasn't like him to invite someone he didn't know well enough into the comfort and privacy of his home. It didn't matter to him if she could possibly be his wife.

Christian shrugged, "Maybe the Queen. She's very eager to see the two of you together."

Kenneth was never keen on persons visiting his residence uninvited- unless it was his family or friends. Besides, he was very busy. He didn't have time to entertain anyone. Kenneth reclined in his chair and fixed his shirt's collar. "Tell her I'm very busy. I can't see her today."

His assistant's lips formed a thin line. He lifted his finger, "Sir, may I give my unsolicited advice? "

"What is it?"

Christian leaned against Kenneth's desk. "It would be embarrassing to Ms Petal and Her Majesty if she turned back now. At least, be nice and host her for an hour then you can let her leave."

The Prince's face scrunched up. "Who told you that I wanted to be nice today?"

"You're giving gifts like Santa Clause and buying a stranger designer shoes. That's enough to say that you want to be nice today. "

Kenneth chuckled, "Fine, let her in." Christian gave the guards instructions then hung up the phone. Kenneth looked for Adora's mother's number then dialed it. He looked at Chris, "Call one of the servants from the palace, let them prepare some food and bring it here."

Christian nodded, "Yes my prince. The guards just let Ms Petal into foyer."

He sighed, "When you see her, tell her I'll be there shortly."

"Ok. Goodbye my prince." He stood and left Kenneth's office to continue his errands.

It was a while before a woman answered the phone. "Hello, good morning."

Kenneth heard the indistinct chatter of others. He wondered if he phoned the woman at a bad time. "Good morning. Am I speaking with Mrs Patricia Renard?"

"Yes you are."

"Ok. My name is Macaiah Ardwell. I'm calling in regards to an incident that involved Ms Adora."