Chapter Twelve

"So, Mister man, are you going to support a worthy cause?" Adora questioned the man.

"I'm trying to decide," The man said. He turned to her, a smug smile crossed his lips, " Of course it depends on whether you would go out with me or not."

"Elijah, I already told you. My answer is no now and for any other time, it will be  no."

"So you're okay with breaking my heart? Just like that?" Elijah clutched his chest feigning heartbreak.

"Your heart could be breaking from now 'til morning. I'm not going on a date with you. And besides, you have a girlfriend."

Elijah chuckled, "Haven't you heard the saying, 'Don't let your girlfriend stop you from finding your wife?' I'm looking for my Queen and she's you."

Adora sucked her teeth and looked out the window. "Brother man, talk things that matter. Are you going to donate or not?"

Elijah shook his head, "Ah Adora, you're tough. Anyways, how much do you want?"

Adora smiled broadly as she turned away from the window, "Now you're talking!" She started to roughly sum up the amount they would need for their school Barbeque. "How much do you want to give? Any amount is fine."

"Did I ask you that? I asked you how much you wanted."

"Okay, okay. Can I have five hundred dollars please?"

Elijah shook his head, " Will that cover everything?"

Adora shook her head, no just for takeaway plates and utensils.

Elijah shook his head as he mumbled to himself something about her not asking exactly for what she wanted. He reached into his pants pockets and pulled out a wad of money and counted it. He gave her some then put the rest away. "That's two thousand five hundred. If you need more let me know."

"Thank you! But this is more than enough. It will do."

.~.~.~.

The next day, Adora arrived at school only to be whisked away by Janice as soon as she entered the Teachers' lounge. Janice pulled her to a corner. She turned around excitedly, with a broad smile and wide eyes. "Guess what!" She asked as she held on to Adora's hands. Adora was more confused; what could have her so excited this morning?

Adora's brows furrowed as she shrugged, " I don't know. Are you pregnant?"

"Nope. Guess again."

"You found a sponsor or something?"

Janice's head tilted as she thought for a moment. "Something like that but you're not quite quite right."

"Well, what is it?"

"Girl, so you know I got my husband to design and promote the flyers, right?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Girl guess who called today to sponsor the Bar-be-que!"

"Who?"

"The Royal Foundation! Girl I almost blacked out when they call this morning!"

"OMG! Really?! You're joking, tell me you're joking!"

"No. One of the Reps called me about an hour ago. He told me he heard about our Foundation and wanted to sponsor even though we aren't registered yet. He told me to make a list of what we need so they can start preparing the items!"

Adora was left speechless. All she and Janice could do was squeal and jump about in the corner of the lounge. This was a weight off their shoulders. God knows they needed it. It would go a long way in helping the students. Since summer was approaching and school was about to close, they decided to host the Barbeque to raise funds for the students who would be in need of new school books, uniforms and supplies.