PART XIV- HOUSEKEEPING

Instincts had taught them to be everything but what they had become to each other in the past few months. Especially considering the circumstances. Elle had never taken a man seriously in a romantic way and Tre had his own issues to reconcile with women.

He loved her, a lot. Something small that grew into much more, she made him feel like the grinch. His heart growing a few sizes. It was hard. Hie entire life had been only one thing survival, its how he got into everything he was into. But he didn't want that for Elle - he wanted them to live and have a life together. A good life.

"I should've known you had secrets when you never asked any questions" he smiles handing her the take out she'd asked for.

"I didn't ask questions because I didn't care" Elle clarifies having a seat. "I didn't ask questions because you'd tell me anything you wanted me to know, when you were ready and I trust that" she adds looking up at him truthfully.

The house had been quiet today, heavy and ominous and it felt like they'd committed to each other at the worst time ever - when the stakes couldn't be higher.

"Well I have questions" he admits forcing her to swallow.

"Like what?" She sighs.

"Is there something between you and Luca, could there be anything between you and anyone other than me?" He clarifies getting her attention. She sighs looking into her hands.

"If I've been anything in my life Tre its been inconsistent with men." Elles words are honest as she sits forward running her thumbs along the rim of her mug. "I've never really taken anything serious because look at my mom and my family - marriage is business or a joke. And what the fuck kind of mother would I be?" She shrugs feeling self conscious.

"You forget who you're talking to?" Tre smiles putting an arm around her.

"I'm only afraid because I care" She admits sincerely tucking her hair behind her ears. "Luca and I, whatever that was has been over for a very long time. Most other guys don't even know my real first name - Jesse and I had this game. About three months and I was over it. Luca lasted almost a year." Tre watches her withdraw from him as she gets up heading to spike her hot chocolate with tequila.

A sign of something bad.

"What else?" He whispers for her attention. House still to them.

"Losing Jesse was a lot on me. I've never loved anyone like I loved Jesse. He just had my back and we understood each other in a special way. I don't talk about him because its hard, not because I'm hiding anything or don't care" Elle swallows feeling vulnerable.

He nodded in understand - no words needed to be spoken.

"I trusted Luca too, I did, he duped me Tre" Elle swallows shaking her head as a tear falls. "A part of me feels like Jesses in the ground so why do I deserve happiness?" Elle swallows.

The code was the only reason the underbelly of society survived all these centuries in illicit activities. Rules were changing on the streets everyday but organizations were supposed to be defined by their structure. Peaceful times were interrupted by a costly mistake that was bad for business leaving the walls closing in on Luca. He couldn't explain the war to his men. Men who didn't agree with the actions that lead to it in the first place. They'd all been dogs, unfaithful to their wives but playing house with Elle and spending all his free time at her club caused whispers.

When his rage made him kill a boy who was innocent of his crimes; they were with him. When that action shut down their favourite spot; they griped in silence out of fear and respect. Elle and Jesses club was a place everyone could love, especially people who valued discretion.

The case that followed brought unnecessary publicity, still his men were loyal. But now he could feel the tides turning. Nico put a cork in his business, no booze or arms sales being made. Money was short - things were drying up.

"You're going to re-open the trade or a lot of innocent people are going to suffer" Luca tells Nico. Sal bows his head in regret and Rico smiles as his father relaxes further in his seat.

"Where's your Misses?" He asks plainly.

"I'd like to negotiate" Luca says making Tre shift in his seat. "Remind me why he's here?"

"Our affairs with Black are in order" Sal interjects getting a sharp look from his boss.

"Negotiate what?" Rico asks sitting forward.

"I give you Rinna, trade flows, I even throw in a discount and you allow Elle to see me if she so pleases" Luca says with a straight face making Rico laugh.

"I'm not in business so discounts don't interest me. I get Rinna and trade flows, I agree" Nico nods ignoring his other condition. "My daughter wants nothing to do with you, don't embarrass yourself" he finishes.

"Respectfully, you don't know that" Luca swallows in denial.

"I do, Jesses dead and so is whatever you think you had" Rico says.

"Why don't we let her decide?" Sal speaks to reduce the tension. "Why don't we release the cousin to you on good faith?" Sal rises heading to a door only for a shameful Kizzy to emerge looking a bit battered. Her eyes fall on Tre and she looks away embarrassed about her actions.

"I don't want her drive her home to her parents" Nico snaps in disgust only for the girl to disappear again. Elles number is dialled.

"Elle, were here with Luca, he wants to talk to you so we can get Rinna"

"I don't want to hear nothing he has to say" Elle says clear as day.

"We're better than that Elle"

Elle laughs in response over the phone.

"The docs, tomorrow at five o'clock in the evening" Elle says finally after a silent pause.