Day 33-Kaplan's Woods Parkway (Part 1)

I woke up and heard dad singing 'You Are More' by 'Tenth Avenue North' as he put on a sweater and he tightened his belt on his pants. I smiled and sat up. I counted to ten then I asked,

"Why am I always waking up when you're getting dressed?"

Dad stopped singing, turned around, and stared at me blankly. He then shrugged his shoulders and walked over to the bed and sat down. I scooted over to him and gave dad a hug.

"I thought of an answer to your question," dad said while he let go of me.

My smile grew bigger. "What is it?"

"Well. I know this isn't the answer you were expecting," he told me. My smile wavered. Dad continued, "But I honestly don't know why you belong here. I'm still figuring that out myself. And besides, it'll take time. I mean, you've only been here for a month and-"

My smile had turned into a frown.

"I get it. I'll have to be patient," I said.

Dad and I made eye contact and he half-smiled.

"Hey how about we go someplace fun today. We could go to Kaplan's Woods Parkway," dad suggested, "it's not that far from here. Maybe a ten minute drive depending on traffic."

"Sure. What can we do there?"

"They have bike trails, walking trails and four golf courses. The bike trails are closed so we'll go walking. It'll be fun," dad told me, "Now go get dressed and I'll have breakfast made by the time you come downstairs."

I nodded my head in understanding. Dad got to his feet and I got out of bed. We went out of the room and I went to mine. I closed the door and went to my dresser. I opened a drawer and picked out black leggings, denim pants, a red wool sweater and a white beanie.

Once I was dressed, I laced up my boots, grabbed my phone and went into the hallway. My feet led me downstairs and to the kitchen. I smirked as I saw Dad standing at the stove cooking something in a frying pan. I cleared my throat and dad turned around. He studied me. A smile was plastered on his face.

"You look nice," he finally said.

"Thank you. Do you need help?"

Dad shook his head 'yes' and I went over to him. He let me finish cooking the hash browns while he set the table. A few minuets later breakfast was ready and we ate at the table. We ate quickly and head towards the front door. Dad handed me a scarf. I put it on and once he had his on along with a jacket. He grabbed his camera and I followed him outside. The snow wasn't deep and we raced each other to the car. Dad unlocked it and I got in while he got the ice off of the windshield. Once that was finished, he got in and the next thing I knew we were on our way to Kaplan's Woods Parkway.