Day 58-The Last, The Lost, The Least

Adam's POV

I paced back and forth in the den rereading the note she left me yesterday for the billionth time today. I shouldn't have yelled at Elaine yesterday. I was upset and angry. Mostly angry since she kept pestering me about the same thing. If Elaine doesn't come back before Cheyenne and I get married next week, I'm taking my own life.

"Daddy?" I heard Mark ask, bringing me out of my thoughts.

I stopped pacing, shove the note in my pocket, and I looked at Mark who was standing in the doorway with Cheyenne. Mark looked worried.

"Hey buddy," I said as I went over and I picked him up.

"Where's sissy?" He asked

I was hesitant to answer. While I was searching for her today Mark must have noticed that Elaine is gone. A heavy sigh escaped my mouth as I motioned Cheyenne over. She came over and we sat down. I looked at Mark and I said sadly,

"Elaine ran away."

"What?! Why?" Cheyenne asked

I looked at her.

"We fought yesterday morning before she went to school," I explained, "I spent all last night and most of today looking for her. It's already close to sunset and she hasn't shown up yet," I paused and I said, "it's all my fault."

Cheyenne put her hand on my arm and she said,

"Our daughter will show up, Adam. Besides, if she doesn't show up what will you do?"

I set down Mark and I got her hand off of me. A wave of depression swept over me.

"You really wanna know?" I asked sadly

She nodded her head 'yes.' I sighed heavily.

"I'll kill myself if she doesn't come back," I said, "and here's the reason why..."

Elaine's POV

I sat at a table outside of a McDonald's finished my dinner. Today I looked around town and I found some other places for me to stay if anything happens to the place in staying at now. I also cleaned myself up in some nice person's home. I sighed and I got up and I threw my trash away. Then I grabbed my backpack and my notebook. In my notebook I planed out how maybe days I'd last being away from home. I figured I go back home in a few weeks or maybe next week. It all depends.

My feet led me down the sidewalk towards the house that I was staying in and I glanced behind me to watch the sunset. The sky was tinted orange and pink and the sun looked red. I stood there watching until the sun went all the way down. Then I continued walking and I reached the old abandoned house a few minuets later. I went in and I went straight to the back bedroom. My blanket was already set out and I removed my backpack. I laid down and I said a silent prayer. But instead of falling asleep, I stayed up singing 'The Last, The Lost, The Least' and other Relient K songs.