21

Stone Cherub

(After multiple attempts it's finally here, author's note at the end.)

I couldn't keep myself from thinking about what had happened. How had I managed to change his eye color? What in the world made that possible?

Trying to think of why just made my head hurt, so I thought about something else.

Staring upwards, laying on my bed, covers pulled up to my chin. Barely any light in the room, just from the moonlight outside.

Blue. His eye was blue.

No. Something. Else. Stop thinking about it.

And yet, I couldn't help but think about that moment. The sparkling brilliance and then... so strikingly blue. Like periwinkle, slashed with such a dark color that it looked like tiny claw marks.

And him, just looking at me.

I covered my cheesy grin with my blanket.

I wanted to talk to him. I needed to. I didn't know what I would say, especially when nearly anything said the wrong way could be taken so badly.

I didn't think that the blue was better than his current eye color. Blue and red were so different. At the same time, oh so beautiful, especially peering through his lashes. What if he was worried that I wouldn't like the blue? And that's why he ran off? Could blue have been his past eye color before he was changed? Was he embarrassed by it? Or angry that I saw it? Or self conscious? Insecurity...

The thought made something curl in tummy like sickness.

I frowned at the ceiling. Sympathy. Was I growing feelings for this man? Honest true romantic feelings for the perpetually angry vampire king?

I waited in the dark for the forefront of my mind and my deepest subconscious to clash and rule out such a possibility. Nothing of the sort happened and I drew both my lips in, biting down on a smile.

There was no telling what would happen now.

He could push me further away. Don't know how much further I could go when he can hardly stand me. Though we did have that one moment in the greenhouse. Still, if behavior shows anything, the most I could say about his feelings towards me is that he tolerates me.

Which I don't know about now. I did just change a part of him. Whatever the color of his eye means to him obviously had something to do with his past. And I brought it to the front of his mind.

The thought that he could push me away because of something I couldn't control made that sick feeling return and a lump in my throat formed.

What if what happened set our relationship back completely? What if we were back to him wanting to deport me?

I turned on my side with a heavy sigh, grabbing my phone and headphones. Music would help push the thoughts away so I could sleep. With tunes beckoning me into slumber, I slowly forgot what had happened less than an hour ago and with those memories, the sick feeling left as well.

•••

I woke up to morning light and bustling outside my room. A door slammed and my eyes opened. I thought back to the castle tour at the beginning of my stay here and remembered that Caius' room was especially close to mine. Was that his door?

I sat up, rubbing my eye and swinging my feet over the side of my bed. A gust of cold air seeped under my door and all the way to my bedside. I immediately reached for my slippers.