Chapter 3

When Gale pulls away he stares at me. I shake my head.
"Gale..." he doesn't let me finish.
"What, Katniss? Isn't that what you wanted? I though you said you and Peeta was an act..."
"It is!" I can't believe he's doing this. Doesn't he know I love him? He kept my family alive, he's everything to me... yet, so is Peeta. Maybe it isn't a complete act, but I decide not to mention that.
"That kiss said other wise. I know you love Peeta. I know you love me. You can't have both of us, Katniss. And it's obvious that you two were meant to be," He looks away. Why won't he look at me?
"You're made from the Capital. That's all you'll ever be. You mean nothing to me." He pushes me aside and slams the front door.
Have I really changed that much? I'm too much of a product to mean something? No. That can't be completely true. I am a product, a toy, a puppet, and that's all I'll ever be. But am I too fake to feel? Am I just becoming a plastic doll? I sit at the end of the bed and cry.
Peeta. At least I have him. I need him. I didn't want to lead Gale on like that, I love him but as family. I'm selfish, selfish for not thinking of how he felt.
I hate myself more and more.
Snow.
He did this to me. He ruined me. He's the one to blame. I hate him. I hate Snow. Yet, I'm a loyal slave. He wanted this to happen to me. He wanted to break me.
I wipe my tear covered hands on my pants and dry my eyes with my sleeves.
He won't break me.
I can't let him.
I won't let him.

• • •
After my encounter with Gale, I go to the small pond where my father and I use to go. I managed to kill a squirrel and three rabbits. Not many will be around due to the cold.
I make my way to the hob were I sell the dead rodents to Greasy Sue. She's one of few who talk to me.
Twelve looks at me like how I look at myself. A traitor. I don't need the money Greasy Sue gave me, so I set it on a table, the table had pins and jewelry.
Then I notice something. A circled bird with an arrow caught in it's claws.
A Mockingjay.
I laugh to myself. So that's where Madge found it. I purchase the small pin and make my way home.
Snow may be able to break me, but he'll never break the Mockingjay.