Chapter 26

The morning was bright and cheerful looking. I knew it wasn't going to be a cheerful day though, no day is cheerful. I ate the rest of the rabbit from last night and started to walk around. I went into some of the buildings, most of the were full of items, some weren't. I went into one store in particular. The signs in the dirty windows said stuff like Unlimited minutes and The New IPhone. I'm not sure what an 'IPhone' is or why people had limited minutes. The world was strange back then. I opened the door and there were small devices on display. I picked one up, and pressed the button in the middle. The screen came to life and showed the time and what the date was. A message came up saying 'slide' and an arrow pointing left. I slid my finger across the screen and boxes came up. They all had different names, one said Mail, another said Flappy Bird. Not sure if this was a trick or not, I put the device down and decided not to stay.

I wondered in the city,half hoping to run into Peeta, and half hoping to find a way out. I came upon a giant building, with white pillars and white walls. I followed the stairs and my foot steps echoed. I opened the door and dead animals were on display. With every step I took my feet echoed. I looked around. A giant skeleton stood out to me. It was some sort of giant lizard thing. I heard shuffling and turned around. I got my bow ready, scared of what I may find. With the gamemakers you'll never know what they'll create.
"Peeta?" I whispered.
Then louder.
"Peeta?" The shuffling stopped.
"Is that you?"
No response.
"Peeta.....?"

• • •

"Kill her." Cornelius said. His voice was grim and he had circles under his eyes, like he hadn't slept in days. Magnolia stood there, ever since her Grandfather showed her what Katniss had done he wanted her to watch with him.
"Grandfather?" Her voice was soft.
"What is it, Magnolia?" His eyes didn't leave the screen.
"What's the point of killing her? Couldn't we say she's dead and send her off somewhere?"
Snow took his time to respond.
"Who's to say she won't come back?"
Magnolia said nothing.
"Peeta?" Katniss kept calling out his name. Her bow at ready. In the corner of what Katniss couldn't see, Magnolia could see. Several Peacekeepers were behind the corner, ready to shoot.
Katniss stepped closer, pulling her arrow back.
Snow leaned into his microphone.
"Kill her," he said softly.
"Now."