Chapter 30

They found Gale's body in the woods. His mother said that he was just hunting, that he would be back.
I'm too numb from losing Katniss.
Maybe that's why Gale hung himself, he couldn't stand it anymore. I don't blame him.

When I had gotten home from the Games my father still wasn't home. Still on business I suppose, though, what baker takes business trips? I don't think much of it. I started working in the bakery again, putting my sorrow into my icing skills. It sold cakes easily, which was good for business. I remember the day I came home, not saying a word to Primrose as I put the necklace into her cold hands.

• • •

When I get home from the bakery I hang my coat and head to my room. Paint brushes laid on the floor near my isle and paint was covered in it. I pulled a canvas out of my closet and picked up a brush. I uncapped a tube of paint and dabbed the brush's tip into the tube. I made swift motions on the canvas. I did this for what seemed like forever.
When I finally finish I stand back to take a look. Through out the forest you can see mockingjays flying. They were something that wasn't suppose to exist, but they do. If there's one then there has to be more.
There has to be.
I clench the mockingjay pin in my hand.

END OF BOOK ONE.