Chapter 25

I sat underneath the tree. The tree I originally wanted to kill Peeta at. Seeing my friends die, again, I don't want to kill him or anyone else. I want to leave Panem. I know that's impossible, we're the only ones left. My father once told me that thousands of years ago, we once had neighboring lands called countries. Everyone in each of the countries had died from war, famine, and disease. I wonder what it'd be like to start over, to erase everything and start fresh. It'd be hard,but worth it. I wonder if those buildings are still there, in those countries. Those cities. I faintly remember what my father called our country.
America.
Land of the free, I think he said. I laugh.
There is no freedom. The word freedom doesn't have a meaning in this world anymore.
But I want to be free.
I want to be free like a bird.
Like a mockingjay.

• • •

Later that night I killed a wondering rabbit and skin and cook it. My fire grew bright and glowed against the tree's bark. The anthem started and I looked up.
First came Finnick.
Then Johanna.
And finally Beetee.
Two left. Only two, the only two who probably won't even kill each other. I wipe the grease off my face with my sleeve. Killing Peeta would be unimaginable at this point. I put my rabbit's leg down and wipe my greasy hands on my pants.
I've lost my appetite.
I wrap the rest of the rabbit and put it in my pack. I sit against the tree, pulling my sleeves to cover my hands. I'll keep the fire burning bright, to keep me warm. I hope Peeta will find me in the process. The anthem ends and I close my eyes. The faint warmth of the fire helps me drift off.