Pumpkin Seeds

Their gooey and slimy with a yucky shade of orange. Most kids otherwise giggle and wiggle their fingers when the guts and seeds are tangled with their hands, and the others will scream and cry with their nose wrinkling when meeting the smell.

Their a delicious treat to some, season with salt or sugar. The others despise the little seeds that are supposed to grow more retched pumpkins to carve. The carving, oh was the best. You could create anything out of that pumpkin, just like a canvas. The carving was just the worst, the struggles of shoved the knife into the pumpkins thick scull.

Pumpkin seeds

Pumpkin seeds

The children chant. Their hands are held together as their eyes are glazed. They swing side to side as the cold autumn wind hits the skin that showed through their costumes. Wether they hated pumpkins or loved them, they all were there.

One by one, the line would shorten. Each child would disappear through a strange little door. One by one, a head would pop out a hole in the worm covered dirt. They would still chant and their eyes still glazed as pumpkin headed beasts would then pull or chop their heads.

The pumpkin beasts would applaud in devil laughter as they would all run with their head of choice back to their cave. The heads of the children would still chant that bone chilling chant.

Pumpkin seeds

Pumpkin seeds

Multiple designs were made of the heads. Some would just have the face skinned or chipped. Some would have unique hair styles. Some pumpkin beasts even were brave enough to take the mush out and season it up for the fire.

A big feast would happen tonight. A giant fire would be made and all the pumpkin beasts of all ages would be in their best outfit. They would bring their mush and their chanting heads to the feast. The heads would be placed anywhere of the pumpkin beasts choice, and the mush would roast and sizzle in front of the fire.

Pumpkin seeds

Pumpkin seeds

They all shared and chattered away with their cooked mush. Some ate theirs raw and dripping with red, their sharp jagged teeth tearing through the meat easily. Others preferred theirs cooked to a nice bronze, tender and warm.

They danced to the chanting heads chant and played games all night. By the time the night was over, there was only the remains of the chanting heads and the fire pit. But the chanting heads were silent.

Instead of glazed eyes were expressions of terror. Inside the homes were slumbering parents who had stains all over their outfits. In place of all the children in their beds, were pumpkins that were carved on their necks. But what littered the streets and the houses?

Pumpkin seeds, of all kinds.