Coward

When they moved, you could hear the loud noise of their knife-like limbs helping them stab their the pavement or mud. There were only so many people left now. The ones who were happy enough to get along, stayed in the Store.

   Sometimes though, there would be that one person who loses their patience and starts an unwanted fight. As soon as they were found or caught, all of us would stand around the barricaded exit and watch as they fought and cried for forgiveness.

   The leader would say a few words to us all and then the trouble causer, before two of our strongest people would quickly pull the barricades apart, revealing the outside world that we all feared. That would be when the person would be pushed outside and the barricades were quickly shut again.

   Sometimes the pounding would last for only a minute to sometimes an hour depending on those the most desperate. Wether they lived or not was none of our business.

   The ones who were most angry or desperate ended up being heard by the things and chased and killed. I haven't yet witnessed the death of one since the windows are also covered, making sure our safety is at its best.

   But as these months have come and go, we've been losing more food. The leader had suggested that only the bravest should go out and risk their lives to find food. We started off at 203, which quickly decreased to 58.

   Of course some of the people who were thrown out wanted to leave. They were the ones who we called birds. They yearned for freedom out of their cage, even if that meant their end.

   I think my family is pondering about it. They've been thinking that if we run far enough, we'll find the suburbs and maybe start fresh. My dad dreams about farming, growing our own food supply that will last until the day those demons disappear and die.

   Their thinking of leaving early in the morning tomorrow. Is it a coward move to say I'm scared and want to continue living in the store? But it does sound nice to sometimes have fresh air...

   I guess I'll see tomorrow if we make it or not.
_______________________________

   Today was the day, and the leader at this point could care less if we left. I heard him talking to a woman saying that would mean less mouths to feed.

   I've seen him kiss multiple woman before, even those who were married and had families. My mom said he's a womanizer and that she would never respect a man like that. Dad says that the leader has been abusing his power.

   But now we're out and it's slightly nice to feel the cold air hit my bare arms and smell the foggy air. The loud clicks of the demons echo around us, but I know we have to stay strong. We start to move fast, running straight and sometimes swerving to make sure the demons aren't on our trail.

   I though I'd be safe for at least a minute sitting there to catch my breath. My mother was urging me to hurry before they caught up. I wish I had listened. I saw it's twisted face as it lunged right at me. One of its multiple sharp limbs scratched me from my shoulder to my elbow.

   I remember me yelling out in pain as my whole arm burned. If it hadn't been for my big brother pulling me, I would have been cut in have and dead. We ran and ran, and even when my lungs burned and my legs ached, we still ran.

   The scene had repeated in my head, even when we had ran into a building and made it camp. It still repeated in my head as my arm was soaked and gushing out blood. It still repeated in my head when my family had surrounded me while crying.

   I knew faintly that I was dying and that there was no way to save me. My mother showered me with kisses and words of pleads and apologies. My father squeezed my one good hand as he looked like a storm was raging in his head. My brother simply stood silent and put his head down.

   I remember passing out, believing I died, hearing my mom say she regretted letting us leave the store. When I had waken, I had felt numb and for a moment, believe I was in the afterlife.

   But as my surroundings started growing, I realized that I was where I was last left at. I knew my family had left me, knowing that they would see me in the afterlife one day, and would stay strong for me.

   Those traumatizing clicks surrounded me and I badly wanted to get up and run. But I couldn't, as I must have lost too much blood. One of the knife-like limbed demons soon went in front of me. It's teeth clicked together, sharpening its already razor sharp teeth.

  One of its limbs impaled my thigh, causing me to erupt into a series of blood curdling screams. My throat felt raw as I continued to scream. It's teeth but into my already damaged arm and a loud crunch was sent into my ears. I could no longer feel my left arm.

   It chewed only three times before it had devoured what used to be my arm. I tasted copper in my mouth from my screaming mixed with when the blood from my arm squirted everywhere.

   I silently pleaded my death be quick, but I was only tortured as it's teeth next dug into the thigh it impales. More crunches and intense pain enveloped me. I felt my vision blackening as it's limbs cut through my stomach and face.

   My right and clenched and unclenched in a last attempt for prayer. It felt sticky, covered in my blood. I wish I had listen to my mom. I wish I had never skipped my gym classes. Maybe then I wouldn't have been in this state.

   At last, my eyes had darkened and I saw the creature one last time. It's a shame it would be the last thing I would see before death, but at least I knew I could finally be in piece and see my deceased family tree.

   After it had finished its meal, it went back outside into its glorious world. It felt good to find a still warm meal alive and untouched. It almost felt bad that the human it killed was thinking about freedom, but it could care less.

   These humans were uncultured and barley knew what they were. The people at the store truly believed that it and the others couldn't get in, when they were simply letting the future meals have false hope.

   After they would eat their meal, their souls would create a new blade that they could use to kill. At least the deceased human would be put to use in a way. It gave out a good shriek before racing towards the scent of the family who had been in despair of their small ones death.

   If only they had realized she was still alive maybe they could have felt better. But then and again it could smell blood easily, so perhaps it was better they left the girl...