CHAPTER 10

Feyre, Cassian and Rhysand were having a conversation in one of the estate's study when a loud crash followed by Elain's high-pitched scream sent them running to the garden. They stopped short at the sight that greeted them.

"What the - ?"

Azriel and Zivia were sprawled among the shrubs lining the fountain, both grunting in pain.

"What happened?" gasped Feyre as she rushed beside Zivia to help her up.

Azriel was quick in getting back on his feet but the shock from their fall made him lose his balance and slip right into the fountain basin, sending splashes of water into Cassian's face, who was extending a hand to him.

"Woah, easy brother," teased Cassian as he wiped his face with his other arm. "Are you drunk?"

The shadowsinger levelled him a look. "We winnowed straight from the Continent!"

Winnowing at great distances messes your orientation and muddles up one's senses especially if done in rapid successions and given the state of the two of them arrived, they were definitely in a rush.

"Let's get you inside," Feyre said, bracing a hand around the Seraphim's shoulder.

They settled in the parlour and she ordered Nuala and Cerridwen to get some towels.

"I'll get some tea," volunteered Elain.

"Okay, so what happened?" asked Rhysand as her sister disappeared into the hallway.

"Our cover was blown," muttered Zivia while she plucked leaves that were stuck in between the feathers of her wings.

"We were found out sneaking to be exact," amended Azriel.

Elain came back with a steaming pot of tea and set it down on the table at the center of the room. She went to Zivia and helped her in cleaning the dirt stuck on her face and wings.

"I'm not entirely to be blamed," Zivia grumbled. "How could I possibly concentrate with you squirming between my legs?"

Rhysand spewed out his drink across the room, Feyre almost dropping the pot and Cassian tried to cough up the liquid that went the other way down his throat as he threw an incredulous look at a wide-eyed Azriel.

"It's not – " He snapped his head to the Seraphim, who was now starting to look as though she would rather be somewhere else.

Cassian barked a laugh, tapping the shadowsinger on his shoulders. "I've never seen you so flustered Az, it's actually refreshing!"

Feyre had never seen the Illyrian look that uncomfortable before and it was something of Zivia to elicit such emotion from him. She suppressed a smile at whatever thought that came into her head at that.

The High Lord cleared his throat. "Uh, any reports then?"

Zivia launched into the story of how they utterly failed in the very simple task of spying without being seen, a portion of which involves having both of them sneakily peek through the mansion's window in hopes of catching whatever they could as the meeting progresses. They were not allowed inside even in the guise of two guards nor two servants nor any other particular individuals for that matter, the meeting was strictly for the lords only – no other else. It ended with Zivia recalling how they made for a quick escape after unceremoniously falling from Azriel's shoulders while trying to reach a better view but instead knocking her head in the glass window hard enough to alert everyone inside of their presence.

"The mortal queens are finally making their move huh," said Rhys after a while, casting a meaningful glance at Feyre.

"But we don't know what they're planning yet," added Cassian.