CHAPTER 11

"What is it?" asked Zivia, voice bordering on annoyance. She was out in the gardens with her wings spread out wide under the morning sun. At first, she was just alone sunning her wings when the Illyrian general joined her.

The High Lady has invited her for a casual lunch at the estate saying that Mor will be joining them. The night court's third-in-command arrived last night but insisted on meeting them the following morning.

She was deep in thought when she noticed Cassian looking, quickly averting his gaze when their eyes met and folding his arms over his chest whistling casually as if nothing happened. The gesture irked her but she refused to acknowledge the awkwardness and instead ignored him. Though she felt him staring again the moment she turned her attention away. She shifted, better positioning her wings against the sunlight when, out of the corner of her eye, she saw him again, bending a little over backwards squinting at her wings. That was when she finally confronted him.

"Ah," answered Cassian, tucking his wings in earnest and rounded on her, "I was looking at your wings."

Her wings folded reflexively and she backed away from him.

"Oh come on, don't look at me like that." He said, "I was just trying to compare mine."

"What?" Zivia wasn't sure she heard him right.

Cassian started to answer when Feyre and Rhysand appeared.

"Are you harassing Zivia?" asked the High Lady while Rhysand's brows rose in accusation.

"Of course not." The general dismissed, gesturing at her. "I was wondering about Seraphim wings. You know, who have bigger wingspans." He wiggled his brows at them as if talking about an inner joke only they were privy about.

"So you are harassing her." Rhysand declared, strolling towards them.

Zivia took a quick glance at both the Illyrians' wings before replying, "Ours, definitely." She gave them a look that says she isn't as clueless about the subject matter as they thought.

Cassian's brows practically rose to his hairline at her statement. "Pff, of course they don't."

"Drop it, Cas." Rhysand warned, even though he looked just as doubtful albeit mildly interested.

The Illyrian general gestured at her. "Come on. Only one way to find out."

"I don't even think it's fair to measure up against her Cassian," pointed out Feyre as he took a stance in front of them and stretched out his wings, completely ignoring them both.

"You don't have to entertain the whims of this bull-headed idiot, Zivia," Rhysand told her before turning to Cassian. "Now tuck those wings before Azriel comes and sees you."

"What's he gonna do?" challenged Cassian, standing his ground.

"He might mention it to Mor. And trust me brother, you don't want Mor hearing anything about this."

There was a slight twitch in Cassian's jaw.

"You really are an entertainment." Zivia stepped behind Cassian and unfolded her wings, carefully aligning it against his. "Well then."

Feyre took it upon herself to measure the two of them, grinning like a fool at the result. He looked at Rhysand and gave him a shrug.

The High Lord slowly shook his head. "Lost cause, brother."

Cassian looked at Feyre as if he couldn't believe it and he refused to believe it because then he said, "Well that's only because of your feathers. Pluck them off and we'll see."