Chapter 2

I woke up to the sound of fingers typing on a keyboard, the noise gentle enough to not be annoying as I rubbed my eyes and stretched out my limbs before looking towards the source. Osomatsu sat in the office chair facing a computer screen, his eyes locked onto whatever he was writing before glancing over at me, the stoic look on his face breaking into a smile.

"Good morning, (y/n). How was your rest?" His fingers paused in their movement as he turned to face me.

"If I had known that this was your office, I would've asked for somewhere else to sleep..." I yawned before putting my shoes and sweatshirt on, neatly folding the blanket and tucking it back into the closet Todomatsu had retrieved it from, along with the pillow, "I didn't want to bother you with me being here."

"No worries. I don't have any meetings today, and nothing needed my attention until the afternoon," Osomatsu stood up and walked towards me, "I was able to find a shelter nearby that could take you in for the week. It's run by the nuns of our local convent, and I told them that I'd send you over whenever you woke up."

"Oh, thank you so much!" I nodded my head in respect, both happy and relieved that he was able to find somewhere on such short notice, "I'll head over immediately."

"Only if you're in a rush. You're more than welcome to stay around here for a little longer," Osomatsu lightly rested a hand on my head before removing it, "It's been a long time since we talked, and even longer since we've last seen you."

"I honestly didn't think that I'd see all three of you here. I thought that you would've left the cathedral behind and be elsewhere in the world," I lowered my eyes towards my hands, "I mean, I'm glad that you're here...and I'm sorry that I haven't been in contact."

"It's nothing to worry about now," Osomatsu moved towards the door and opened it, waving his hand as if beckoning me to follow, "Care for an escort to your destination?"

"Are you sure?" I looked back up at him.

"Of course. Sitting in the office alone for too long never really does me any good, and I could use a nice refreshing walk from the rough night," He smiled before leaving the room, the sudden motion making me rush towards him so I wouldn't be left behind.

"I'm sorry to hear that you've had a rough night," I tried to find a conversation starter, "Is everything better now?"

"For the most part. I haven't been able to get much restful sleep lately, but now that I know you're here, I think tonight will be the best sleep that I've had in awhile," He turned down a hallway and left through a glass door that led outside, the morning sun smothered by the clouds overhead. There was a faint smell of rain on the breeze, as if reminding everyone that the partially sunny day wouldn't last.

"I'm glad..." I closed my eyes as I felt the wind gently blow through my hair, the happy feeling quickly sinking into disgust as I realized I hadn't taken a shower in a while. A sigh escaped my lips as I remembered that I had no clean clothes to change into.

"Something on your mind?" Osomatsu asked as he waved to a few people as we passed them on the street. I lowered my eyes from him to the sidewalk underneath my feet, my mind shifting to look at Osomatsu and myself from an outsider's perspective: a man of the cloth with a high reputation walking alongside a woman who was clearly homeless.

I clenched my fists tightly, feeling my nails bite into my palms. I felt so angry with myself.

Should I have tried to put up a fight, to try and prove my innocence before he closed the door? Of course, I should've...but I was too shocked by the accusation to process anything that was happening.