02

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Ophelia didn't know how long she stood in front of her mirror, scrutinizing every detail about herself. Her eyes took in everything, her hair, her skin, her dress. Was it too nice, not nice enough? Should she keep the green dress on, or change into the red one? Should she put her hair up? Oh how she cursed her hair for being unable to hold curls. She sighed and brushed her skirt once more to ensure there were no wrinkles whatsoever and walked out of her room.

Walking into the dining room, Ophelia spotted Diana's family eating quietly. No one spoke a word and the only noise came from the silverware hitting the plates. Her eyebrows raised as she sat down and the only person who seemed to acknowledge her presence was Diana.

Diana set down her fork and asked "Are you nervous for your first day?"

Ophelia glanced over at her aunt and uncle. Eliza was trying to get Minnie May to do more than just play with her food, while her Uncle hadn't bother to look up from the newspaper he was reading. "I think I'd be crazy not to be."

She looked towards Minnie May whom Eliza had managed to convince to take a bite of her eggs. "What about you Minnie May? Do you attend school?"

Minnie May practically threw her fork onto the table as she crossed her arms and pouted. She turned her nose up at the food and scrunched her nose. "Only because Mother and Father are making me go this year."

Ophelia raised her eyebrows and nodded as she stomped away from the table. After Eliza excuses herself to run after her, she turned back to the Diana and her father. "I'm ever so sorry uncle. I never would have brought it up had I known it was such a poor subject."

Mr. Barry's eyes never strayed from his paper through the whole ordeal. He let out quite the sigh and said "It's alright Ophelia, Minnie May will simply have to learn to tolerate school."

She bit her lip and looked at Diana, pleading her for help with her eyes. Diana gave her cousin a small nod and quickly stood up, rattling the dishes. "Ophelia and I should probably go, wouldn't want to late on our first day."

Diana's father began to speak, but Ophelia had practically run around the table to grab Diana's hand. "You're so right and I saw our lunches waiting by the door." When the two girls had finally made it into the hallway with their awaiting baskets, they shouted their goodbyes to Diana's father.

Ophelia ran out of the house and dragged Diana behind her. Diana's small legs having to go twice as fast to keep up with her cousin's long strides. Ophelia didn't slow down until they were well on the path in the woods.

The two slowed to a walk and Diana slipped her arm through Ophelia's, pulling the two of them closer together. Ophelia's fingers absently pulled on the hem of her dress. Diana noticed and stopped her, unhooking their arms and grabbing her cousins hands within her own. Diana smiled up at her, "They're gonna love you."