Chapter Two

Olly

Sitting down, Olly got out his textbook, paper and pens as people started coming in and getting ready to learn. The room was your typical science classroom. Planets made of paper-mâché hung from the ceiling in order. A skeleton stood in the corner of the room and a periodic table on the back wall. There was a touch screen TV in the middle at the front of the room for the teacher to use. This was complemented by whiteboards either side of the TV that also acted as doors for some cupboards.

Screeeech. The stool next to him is pulled out from under the desk in the worst and loudest way possible. Leaving a ringing sound in everyone's ears, it sounded like a bat having a nightmare. "Oops." Muttered the guy as he sat down beside Olly. "Hey Coon, how are you doing?" Olly smiled while he asked, as he tried to brighten up this awful day. "Not too shabby. A little tired but damn the new season of The Great Area was so good!"
"I know right! My favourite part was the chainsaw bear for sure." Both of them chuckled as they thought of the chainsaw bear about to attack one of the main characters.

Coon's real name was not actually Coon. His real name being Racco, it was so close to sounding like raccoon that everyone just called him Coon. Not only that, but he had rings around his eyes, like a raccoon, from where he stayed awake for too long each night. He was 5'11 and still growing. He had scruffy brown hair as messy as a rodent and milky brown eyes.

Coon knew Olly since they were in reception together. They had gone to the same schools all the way through their lives, but only became friends since starting sixth form. Not only was this because they took biology together, but they also took physics and maths together too.

"Hey guys!" Approaching the table was a girl at about 5'6, hair the colour of dark purple velvet and longer than her torso. All of it was perfectly straightened with not a single tangle in sight. Her eyes were as blue as the sky on a beautiful sunny day with no clouds.

"Hey Megumi." Waved Olly as she stumbled over. "How have you been holding up from the stress of all the exams?"
"Not too well. It has somehow made me much clumsier than I already am!"
"I didn't even know that was possible." Mumbled Coon.
"Hey! I said I was clumsier, not deaf!"

At that moment, the science technician from the storeroom walked in. "Hey class, I'm afraid Miss won't be in to teach you today." A collective sigh of both relief and disappointment filled the room. "However, there is some work to do on page 264 of your textbook. Please do questions 1-4 by Thursday. I don't mind if you want to use the study pods rather than work here." With that statement, most people in the room stood up, grabbed their stuff, and walked over to the pods.

***

Approaching the pods, after doing all the questions, Olly peeked through the glass from a distance. He watched as Emily was working away with earphones in. "How does she stay so focused?" he thought to himself.

"So," began Megumi. "When are you going finally ask out Emily then?" Olly's cheeks turned to the shade of red you only see on the ripest of tomatoes. "Wha- Wha- What do you mean?" He stuttered nervously. "Come on Olly." Megumi looked at him with the face that said "Really?"
"You clearly like her in that way. It's been 3 years, now right? So, when will you make a move?"
"Y- y- you're delusional. You must be imagining things!" Coon burst out with laughter from behind him. "Aw man Olly, you should see your face! You are so red you look like you spent 10 hours too long in the sun." He chuckles. They entered the building and turned the corner towards the study pods.

Suddenly an alarm blared in the corridors. Recognising it wasn't the fire alarm, Olly grabbed Megumi and Coon and pulled them into the pod with Emily in.

"What's going on?" screamed Emily over the alarm at Olly.

Then, Silence.

A loud explosion went off in the distance. Then another but closer. Then another but closer again. Then-

*Author note - Hey, I hope you are enjoying the story so far! When I chose the name Coon I did not mean to offend anyone and I am sorry if it has. Coon is just a normal person that has the semi-appearance of a raccoon. Please like and add to the reading list for more!