fourteen

『 S E O U L, 2 0 2 0 』

🥀

"Just wait here madam."

Wasting no time, I sat at the table and stared silently at the door in anticipation. That day, I decided to visit Jaehyun in prison. Three months had passed since his incarceration, I wanted to check on him and make sure he was doing fine. Despite all that happened, he still had been a big part of my life and my overly caring self couldn't resist visiting him.

We hadn't spoken in months; this would be our first interaction since he was arrested. Stress, anxiety, fear... Every negative feelings I felt towards him couldn't erase how I used to care about him. Deep inside, I needed to make sure he was doing fine.

Two prison guards appeared in the small room, escorting a familiar man to the table where I was sitting at. In a flash, my mind turned blank as he walked up to me, and his eyes were shining. The sight made me tear up, but I kept my composure.

"(Y/n)." he said my name, sending shiver down my spine as I recalled him treating me like trash

The prison guards were going to say anyway, so nothing bad could happen. However, it just felt like Jaehyun and I were alone in this little room only decorated with a single table and three chairs. I took the time to observe his changes, they were numerous.

He was a lot thinner. His brown eyes expressed nothing but pain and sorrow, I guess he deserved it though. Usually, he'd comb his hair back and fix them with hair gel, but there was nothing to fix now. He was almost bald. The new haircut pointed out the exhaustion, he looked like thrice his age.

"How are you?" was my first stupid question, he simply stared at me

"Why are you here?"

I shrugged. "To check on you."

"You wanted to see me?"

I frowned, hoping he wouldn't get the wrong idea. I felt stronger than him though, so I decided to speak my mind. He couldn't hurt me no more.

"No. I wanted to make sure you were okay. I don't hate you anymore Jaehyun, I just hope you learned from your mistakes."

Jaehyun pursed his lips as I noticed his clenched fists. I saw one of the guards looking at us, just in case.

"So, how are you?" I continued

This time, his gaze met mine and it was enough of an answer. I felt my heart broke into pieces at the thought of him being constantly in pain.

"I miss you..." he whispered

I nodded. "There's no point in missing me. You should try to—"

He cut me off. "I am so sorry for what I did!" his voice cracked "You deserved better (Y/n), I'm such a fucking jerk! I hate myself!"

I breathed in, addressing a sad smile. "You're worse than that, but I'm sure you can change. I won't be waiting for you by the time you do, but I'm sure you're smart enough to understand that."

Right in front of me, Jaehyun looked like a kid being scolded. He shamefully looked down, saying nothing. I could see his lips quivering, and to be honest, I wanted to cry as well.

I stayed ten minutes more for some small talk, so we wouldn't leave each other on bad terms. I didn't want him to keep a bad memory of me, because I know how bad it would feel.

"I'll come back once I forgive you." were my last words

🥀