Chapter Twenty Six

Something must have resonated with him because his face relaxed somewhat and sadness appeared. "You're just like them. They had the same passion. I promised them that I would protect you if something should ever happen to them, but I see now that I'm not going to be able to change your mind, am I?"

"No." She shook her head. "I've made my choice."

He gave a curt nod of his head. "Alright then." Then he turned his attention back to Dumbledore. "So what was this project you've had her doing? Because if she's putting herself in danger then I want to know why."

"I have reason to believe that Voldemort is very interested in the Department of Mysteries. I don't think I need to explain why he might take an interest to you, I'm sure that your vast knowledge of what goes on inside the walls could lead you to surmise just as much?"

"Yes," he nodded. "I could see why he might be interested.

Dumbledore continued, "So then as you are now aware there is a specific prophecy that pertains to him, and that it is imperative that he never find out the details of what is inside."

"Prophecies aren't a guarantee of becoming reality. But I gather that you likely know that already." Tom looked to Marlene, brow raised in accusation.

"But what if this one is?" Dumbledore asked him. "What if this one, that reigns hope for his downfall, what if it will come true? We need to protect it at all costs. Surely you can agree with that?"

"I suppose so," Tom muttered.

"At my request Marlene has been trying to get your cooperation with the Order. I would have very much liked the opportunity to work with you on this matter, Tom. But you have been very resistant to joining us. I admire your loyalty to the Ministry. Molly and Dave spoke very highly of you, and I believe that you would be a huge asset to the Order. However, when Marlene was unsuccessful I employed her to find other means of getting answers to some questions. One of which to ease my mind that Voldemort should have difficulties gaining access to this prophecy."

"And I hope that you are assured now that it is extremely difficult for him to obtain it," he replied. "Since you now know that only he himself, and the chosen one who remains unknown can access it." Then he paused. "And Marlene."

"Yes." His eyes were hard. "Tom, Voldemort has many influences on the inside of the Ministry."

To Marlene's surprise Tom nodded. "Yes. I've suspected as much."

"You have?" she interrupted, shocked.

His eyes flashed. "I might be resistant to vigilante activity, but I'm not naive, Marlene."

Then Dumbledore spoke again, "Do you have any reason to believe that your department might be infiltrated."

"No." Tom sounded positive, certain. "No, I feel confident that my team are loyal to the Ministry.

"Very well, then I believe the only other real pressing question remains to be asked. Tom, do you have any theories on why Marlene was able to access the prophecy this evening? Surely Marlene has not always been the keeper. I am very curious to hear your thoughts on the matter."

"I'd love to know the answer to that myself," he grumbled. He appeared to contemplate something. Likely the inner battle of whether to betray some top secret Ministry information. Eventually he sighed. "The keeper has been missing for a few months now. Actually, right around the time that you came by the Ministry asking questions," he said directly to Marlene. "He came into work in a bit of a frenzy, jumping at everything. And then he just stopped showing up for work. The Hall locked up and we weren't able to get in. I stopped by his house a few times but he wasn't home. It appeared that he left in a hurry. What I don't understand though is how you came to hold the key."

"I met a woman. Cassandra. She told me all about the Hall and the keeper and then –" Marlene hesitated. She hadn't told anyone the next information yet, not even Dumbledore. "And Cassandra told me that tonight I'd know what to do. I just – I just did – somehow."

She explained about the cabinet, how she had seen it at her house and then again at the Order meeting. She and Sirius had gone back to find it and how it had led them into the Ministry.

"Cassandra?" Tom's brows pinched together in concentration. "Vblatsky?"

"Yes that's right," she confirmed.

"Cassandra is the Keeper's brother. Of course that's how she knows all of that information. That still doesn't explain why keeper would up and leave his position and leave it for you."

Marlene bit down hard enough on her lip to incite pain. "I think they meant for you to have it," she admitted shamefully. "Someone broke into your house. The first night I came to see you. They dropped a piece of paper with this drawing on it," she pointed to her arm, "and then I touched it and it disappeared. I think it was an accident that I intercepted it. Whoever broke in was likely looking for you."

"It was probably Hephias," he muttered under his breath, then loudly clarified, "The Keeper. Or the previous Keeper I suppose."

Cassandra must have seen it coming. She would have warned her brother of the prophecy, that him keeping the key to the department would cause him danger. Maybe she knew that Marlene was destined to intercept the key, when it had been meant for Tom all along. Or maybe it had been meant for her. She'd never know because Cassandra was nowhere to be found. Neither was Hephias, apparently.

Her mind drifted to the second prophecy. She tried to recall the exact details of it.

"Thrice will seek what belongs to the fourth, and all shall fail while the true heir succeeds. Four lives taken in vain it shall not, for great sacrifice will protect this secret until its destiny may be fulfilled."

And slowly the pieces seemed to come together. The prophecy must be regarding the Dark Lords prophecy. The true heir must either mean the Dark Lord himself, or the one meant to bring his downfall. That meant that –