Wish You Were Here

(A/n: takes place in America)

No one wanted another war. No one. Yet here we are, another tragical romance between a man and woman separated by war.

Brian was drafted in the late sixties to Vietnam.

To this day you remember the look on his face when he read the letter: fear. It was a nightmare neither of you could escape.

Brian was always a carefree, but reserved soul. You met him back in your flight attendant days. His old band mates were ordering drinks after another. Brian had a few sips of a drink but he was seemingly entranced in a book.

"Sir, would you like a different drink perhaps"

Brian looked up at you. He opened his mouth as if to speak but quickly shut his mouth, forming a smirk. He looked you up and down and shut his book.

"No, but could you join me for this one" he lifted his glass.

"I don't know if I'm allowed to sir"

"Sir? Call me Brian. If they give you any trouble, I'll give them hell. Have a drink with me"

With that you complied.

Brian took a gulp of his deep red wine and looked up at you through the glass. He was observing every inch of your face, every detail.

"What's your name?"

"Y/n" you said as calmly as you could.

"Pretty name" he said confidently, whispering for a pretty girl.

You smiled at his remark.

Brian slipped you a note right before the plane landed. You chose not to read it till you finished work.

It read: If you don't throw this away, I'd like you to know I enjoyed your company. I'd like to further get to know you. When I get back home next week, contact me at this number if you wish. Sincerely, Brian Jones.

After three weeks, you two were official.

Three years later, you were pregnant with his baby and he was being drafted. It was unreal.

Thoughts rushed through your head a mile a minute. Would he live to see his kid? Will he miss the birth? Rash thoughts ran through your head. Brian tried his best to reassure you.

Every night until he left he kissed your stomach and talked to the baby. Every night he'd talk to you as if you were the only woman in the world. Brian had his way with words. He knew was to say every time.

All was good until that day. His departure.

Eight months pregnant, you stood there with tears in your eyes. The love of your life was leaving for war. Something you or him could not control. Your knees felt weak as you watched him board. Your mom was there to comfort you but you couldn't help it.

"I love you y/n" he paused, choked up "I always will, and our baby too. Always tell them I love them"

"I love you so much, Brian, the baby and I will be here waiting for your return"

He waved goodbye for the last time and left.

The baby was born a boy a month later. You decided to name him after his father, whom had passed two weeks earlier.