Chapter Seven, The Birth

Ross was going out of his mind pacing in the living room holding his now seventeen month old son, Teddy, as he tried to distract him from the pain filled cries of his mother as she gave birth to his sibling. "It's okay Teddy. Mama is okay." Ross soothed running his hand through Teddy's curls.
"Mama!" Mama!" Teddy cried ignoring his father's soothing words much like Ross was ignoring the words of his friends Ben Henshaw and Andrew Blamey

It went on for several more hours Teddy had been held by all three men who had tried to soothe him until he had finally drifted off to sleep, while Verity, Andy, Demelza and Prudie helped Ailla bring their child into the world, when they suddenly heard the cry of a new born babe. Not to long after, Prudie came downstairs disposing of the water and dirty towels followed by Verity and Demelza.
"How is she?" Ross asked jumping to his feet when Demelza and Verity entered the parlour.

"Ailla is just fine Ross." Demelza said happily taking Teddy from her fiancé's arms. "And you have a beautiful baby girl. Andy is checking them over." As Andrew was pouring Ross a glass of port to celebrate, Ross paid it no mind as he raced upstairs to the bedroom he shared with his wife. Upon entering the room he was greeted with a tired but happy smile from Ailla who was holding their daughter in her arms. From his position by the door he could just make out dark curls upon her head much like his own.

"Congratulations Ross." Andromeda smiled getting up from the end of the bed bringing him into a tight hug. "They're both just fine. I'll leave you to meet your daughter, and I'll inform the family."
"Thank you Andy." Ross said gratefully to the older woman.
"No matter. Make sure Ailla gets plenty of rest." Andy said, patting Ross' shoulder as she left the room.

"Come meet your daughter Ross." Ailla called happily to her husband. As if he had been waiting for those exact words Ross darted over to the bed almost tripping over his own feet in his hurry. He perched on the end of the bed carefully as if he was scared of causing Ailla pain and waking their sleeping daughter in her arms. On closer inspection of his daughter who was wrapped in a fluffy cream blanket, she looked just like her mother. Almost a carbon copy of her if it wasn't for his dark curls, and he could bet any money when she opened her eyes they would be her mother's beautiful emeralds.

"How are you, my love?" Ross asked concerned

"How are you, my love?" Ross asked concerned. "And she is beautiful, just like her mother. You've done so well darling." Ross said kissing her forehead.
"I'm fine Ross. Just a little sore and tired." Ailla laughed at her overprotective husband. "Now say hello to your daughter Melyor Grace Poldark." Ailla said as she carefully handed over their daughter. Ross looked up at his wife, tears filling his eyes as the love he held for his wife grew even more as she had named their daughter after his mother.

"Thank you, my love." Ross said leaning forwards carefully to kiss her forehead without jolting their daughter, trying to convey all the love and gratitude he had for his wife.
"Hello my precious little girl." Ross whispered tenderly as he carefully stroked her cheek pressing a soft kiss to her forehead. He had two beautiful children and a beautiful wife and he couldn't be happier.

For the rest of the afternoon Ross and Ailla spent it in their bedroom bonding with their daughter along with Teddy, who had been brought up as soon as he had woken up. He was delighted to see his mother and wanted a cuddle as soon as he laid eyes on her. And he was absolutely fascinated by his sister when Ross introduced the two siblings and had pressed a wet kiss to his sister's forehead who had opened her eyes showing her emerald green eyes. Teddy had giggled switching his appearance from looking like Ailla, to looking like Ross, to a mix of them both, keeping the two babies entertained much to the amusement of their parents.

As the four were bonding Ross holding Melyor again after her feed, one arm holding his daughter the over around his wife who was holding Teddy in her lap as the four curled up together. Demelza had snuck in under Ailla's Invisibility cloak taking several pictures of the family together not only for the family but she knew Ailla and Ross would want some for around the house but to also put in Ailla's photo album. Much like Ross had been, Demelza had been extremely touched when she found out her cousin, who was more like a sister to her, had named her daughter after Demelza's mother. And she knew when she and Ben had children after they were married she would name her daughter Lily after her aunt who had saved Ailla by sacrificing herself.

She hoped one day she would be a mother much like Ailla is, much like her mother and Lily were to her own children. She knew that everyone, much like herself, would always be grateful Lily and James had sacrificed themselves for their only daughter as they couldn't see their lives without Ailla. She brought light and happiness into what ever room she walked into to. And she would always protect her cousin and her niece and nephew much like Ailla protected her from her own father.

She was so glad Ailla had Ross now as he was a perfect match for her and she for him. She hadn't seen Ailla smile so brightly in a long time but since meeting Ross, she had her happy cousin back as Ailla was always smiling now. They chased each other's nightmares and demons away as they both knew what it was like to live through and fight in a war. They were truly suited for each other and she knew no one could be better parents to Melyor and Teddy, for they would know nothing but love, care and happiness nothing like how Ailla grew up.

As not only did they have parents who loved, adored and cared for them but they had a close and extended family who felt the same way. Melyor may not be a day old yet but Demelza could see that she was well and truly loved and she was loved in equal measure to her older brother Teddy. Not one child loved more than the other. They were loved equally. And as she watched Teddy with his sister she could see the love he held as he kept kissing her little forehead. He was such a sweet little boy at only a year old. She truly hoped all the horrors of her cousin's past were behind her now as she left the bedroom letting the small family bond with their new member knowing they would all get a hold and a cuddle later.

 She truly hoped all the horrors of her cousin's past were behind her now as she left the bedroom letting the small family bond with their new member knowing they would all get a hold and a cuddle later