Chapter 52: Long Gone

*image mine*

Mystery POV

She saw me. I swear, she saw me. She looked right at me. I watched her. She knew. She KNEW! But she didn't say a thing. Why is that? Not even as they sailed that puny vessel way out onto the waters. My waters. She still didn't say a thing.

I slowly slip into the cool learn my water off the rocks. I don't know what to do. If she tells, it could ruin my ENTIRE mission. I REALLY can't afford that! My boss, he–he wouldn't be happy. The sorceress' efforts would have been for nothing. But, my target isn't here anymore. And I've been stranded here for weeks. Well, not entirely stranded. I could leave if I wanted to, but the thing is, I needed to find evidence. Like where my target was going. I've searched for two whole weeks. Nothing. I've lost all leads. Nowhere to go.

Where would he go? Where in this archipelago could he possibly go?!
Wait... How about the Nest. What if I went there? No. It's ridiculous. I'll bet that he'll be gone. But there could be something there that could give me a clue. There has to be!

The girl doesn't matter. She can tell them, but they won't find me. They could search this entire island, but they won't find a trace. I'll be long gone. It doesn't mean I won't come back though.

I, for the first time in an hour, turn to face my companion. It snorts, hot air coming out of its nostrils as it's angry eyes connect with mine. I smirk at it, and it grunts in acknowledgement. We turn and walk away, back into the forest.

An hour or so later and I'm on a raft, my beast diving in and out around me. Which makes me smile in a rare moment of laughter as it swimsuit first into a rock, because it was looking at me and showing off instead of where it was going.

It whines in pain and recoils, soon heaving itself up onto my raft as I dip through the ocean with my makeshift ore, expertly navigating the waves. I look into the horizon, noting an approaching storm.

After an hour or so, I let out a sharp whistle; an instruction to my beast. It grumbles as it heaves itself up from where it was resting, then flings itself into the ocean, disappearing in and out of the waves. I note the wind direction, and move back on my raft, grabbing my makeshift sail and raising it high on the mast, watching as the grey fabric catches the wind, and tries to go with it. I stick my ore in once more and change direction slightly, letting the wind carry me along.

I'm coming for you, my target. I will find you. You will rue the day you escaped me.

Woo. Yeah, remember the mystery person in like chapter 20-something? Yeah, the guy/gal who wanted his/her target, but the target's friend got in the way unknowingly, and they escaped the next day. I'm pretty sure we all know who the *target* is haha. Anyway, that was the mystery pov in this chapter.

Alright, so, here's a quote:

"We have no say, In this life, in how hard things will be. What we can control is how hard we fight. How long we endure. How strongly we love." ~Roselyn, from the book Avery, book one of the chronicles of Kaya series (first published in 2013) Author: Charlotte McConaghy :) it's a paperback book, in case you didn't get that :)

🍰 Eat Some Cake 🍰