Sentenced to Death (Chapter Three)

Chapter Three

At about eleven thirty,  I got ready for bed.

My bed was in the middle of my room.  Over by the front windows I had my dresser and closet.  On the other side of my room, I had a desk and chair, with a laptop on my desk.  My carpet was blue, and my walls were a light, pale blue.  My ceiling was white.  My covers on my bed were a navy blue, with blue and green spots on it.  You could tell from one look at my room that I like blue.

I moved my desk chair and put it in front of my window.  I have a chair on the balcony, but it gets cold at night in the springtime, so i stayed inside.  I loved to gaze out my window and think before I go to bed.

I was lost in thought when I noticed them.

Two men were outside on the street.  I couldn't see there faces because for some reason, the street lamps weren't on so it was too dark to see them properly.  They were standing, facing each other, about twenty feet apart.  One of them had something in his hands, but I couldn't tell what it was.

The one closest to me sprang at the other, and it was all a blur after that.  They moved so fast, I couldn't tell what was happening.  I knew one thing for certain though, they were fighting.  They were kicking and dodging and punching, but nothing seem to touch the other person, no matter how much they each tried.

They were moving so fast, it couldn't be real.  I must have fallen asleep in my chair and was dreaming now.  That had to be it.

Just then, the fighting stopped.  I looked closely, and noticed that one of them was standing over the other, who was lying still on the ground.

I couldn't think straight.  I had to be sure.

I got up and ran out into the hallway, down the stairs, and out the door.  I heard my mother call my name from upstairs as I ran past her room.  When I got outside, I didn't see anyone in the street, or anywhere.  I had to have been dreaming.  I must have been.  If I hadn't been dreaming, then where was the dead body I had seen?

I turned to go back inside when something sped past me, hitting my head.  I fell to the ground, and closed my eyes.

.:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

When I woke up in the morning, I saw my ceiling above me.  It must have been a dream then.  How else would I have ended up in my bed?

I got up and felt the back of my head.  It hurt, but I could have hurt it while I was sleeping, which would explain why my head had hurt in my dream.

I went downstairs.  It was seven fourty-three, so my mom would be awake and watching the news.  Sure enough, she was.

"Morning mom," I said as I went to eat some breakfast.

"Sweetie, how do you feel?"  Her question made me stop as I headed for the fridge.  I turned and stared at her.

"What do you mean?" I said, not sure if I wanted to hear the answer.

"Well, you ran outside and passed out on the sidewalk, don't you remember?"  I froze even more.  So it hadn't been a dream.

"I thought it was a dream," I confessed.

"No, it wasn't unless we were both had the same dream.  I carried you inside and put you back on your bed."  So that was how I had ended up on my bed.

"I thought I had seen something outside last night and went to check it out.  Something hit my head and knocked me out," I explained to my mother.

"Well I didn't see anyone or anything outside last night," she said, turning her attention back towards the television. I was running out of options.  Either it had all been real, or I had dreamed it an slept walk out into the street, and hit myself on the head. It just didn't feel like a dream though.  Try and try as I might, I just can't get myself to believe it was a dream.  But who could move so fast?f I sighed, then went on making breakfast.

After breakfast I got dressed.  At noon, I went outside and sat on the bench outside our house.  Henry and Fauna were playing catch with a football nearby, and I soon joined them.  Henry wanted a challenge, so I threw the football as far as I could, which somehow ended up going as far as the lengh of the square.  That is far for a thirteen year old to throw.  Fauna was amazed by how far I could throw. Fauna was short and skinny, with long brown curls and blue eyes.  Henry was short too, and he also had brown curls.  He had green eyes though. After a few more minutes of catch, Colin came outside.

"You know what Saturday is right?" he asked me once he had walked over to me.

"How could I forget, it's the annual party we always have once a year!"  Every year we had this party, and every year it was always fun.  There were many games and food was brought out and set on tables.  When it got dark, the children were given glow sticks and the grown ups sat around a fire.  The children would run around and play things like flashlight tag and throw glow in the dark footballs and frisbees.  Yeah, good times. Today was Tuesday, which was normally a school day, but we were on a break right now.

"I heard we are going to have a dunk tank this year," Colin informed me.  His mother had probably found out and had told him.

"Sounds fun," I said.  I really couldn't wait.  It was always so much fun. 'Fun' isn't exactly the word I would use to descride this years party though.