Sentenced to Death (Chapter Eleven)

Chapter Eleven

Serenity's point of view (POV)

I sprinted through the forest, slightly faster than Austin.  As far as I knew, there wouldn't be any trouble.  I wasn't sure if any of Mathew's clothes had survived the fire, but it couldn't hurt to check.  I really didn't want him to feel like a prizoner when he was with us.

"Are you sure Andrew's not around?" Austin asked me.

"No, I can't see that far right now."  I wasn't positive that this would be easy, but so far it seemed that way.

We were getting close now.  We had been running for about forty minutes and when you're as fast as a vampire that can get you pretty far.

"I wish I knew where he was," Austin almost whined.

I sighed and reached for his hand.  He let me take it and I closed my eyes.  I ran like that for a few minutes, than came to a sudden stop.  My eyes opened and I stopped Austin before he could keep running.

"I almost fell over," he informed me.  I wasn't listening to him though.  My eyes searched the woods around us.  I didn't see anything, but I knew someone was coming.  Three people actually.

"Is he coming?"

"Yes," I answered Austin.  "He just decided to.  Two others are with him, but they aren't vampires."

Austin cursed under his breath, and stared at the trees behind him.

"Where will they be coming from?" he asked.  I could tell he was a little worried.

"I don't know."

We waited for a few more seconds.

"Maybe we should go back," Austin suggested.

"Alright."

I turned to face the same direction Austin was facing, which was where we had come from.  It was still dark, and the trees would have made it difficult for any human to see very far.

Before we could move an inch though, I spun around and blocked my face with my left arm.  Andrew's arm was on mine, and it looked like he had just tried to karate chop my face.  I looked up at his face as Austin turned around to look at us.  Andrew was taller than both of us, but that didn't make a difference to me.

We held our positions as the two humans came up behind him.  One was wearing a sack over his shoulder.  I squinted at it.

"Austin," I called out to the vampire behind me.  "they have ten stakes in that sack the one is carring."

The man gasped as he took off the sack.  "How does she know that?" He asked Andrew.  Me and Andrew's eyes met, and for a few seconds nobody moved.

Andrew removed his arm from mine and took a step back, standing between the other two.  I studied the two men.  The one on his left was short and chubby.  He had short brown hair and a small moustache.  He wore a dirty  orange plad jacket over a dirty brown shirt and loose jeans.  He didn't look like he was very flexible.  He would most likely just charge at us and stab anyplace he could reach on us.

The man on Andrew's right was rather tall, almost as tall as Andrew.  He had curly black hair that almost reached his chin.  He wore a black T-shirt and black athletic shorts.  He was the one that had just removed the sack from his back.  I could tell that he was probably better at fighting than the other guy was.

I mentally nicknamed the humans shorty and curly.

Andrew wore an attire similar to curly.  He had short straight black hair and almost glowed since he was so pale.  I already knew that he could fight well.

"You two again," Andrew stated with a deep voice.

No one said anything else.  We all just sprang into action.

Curly had pulled out five stakes and had handed one to Andrew and two to shorty.  He kept two to himself, leaving five in the sack.

Shorty charged at Austin, who quickly grabbed his arms and threw him at Andrew, who caught him.

Curly darted at me.  He kicked at where my head was, but I dodged it, grabbing and twisting his leg.  He shrieked in pain, and stumbled backwards, banging into a tree.

Andrew came up to Austin and the two of them started to fight.  Austin threw a punch at Andrew's head, but Andrew dodged it and punched Austin's stomach, making contact.  Just as his fist slammed into it, Austin grabbed it and bent over, attempting to flip Andrew.  Andrew kicked Austins head with enough force to make him fall backward.

I was going to help Austin, but shorty was now charging at me.

"You fight like a girl," Andrew sneered at Austin, who had gotten up and had just missed Andrews neck when he tried to punch him.

"If you mean that girl," Austin said, indicating me.  I had just kicked shorty in the stomach and had sent him flying at least seventy feet into the forest.  "then that is a complement."

Andrew grabbed Austin's neck.  Even though Austin was the oldest of the five of us, he was the worst at fighting.  Andrew was about to stab Austin in the heart with his stake, but stopped when I stabbed his shoulder with a stake that I had just taken from the sack.

Andrew dropped Austin and reached for me, but I could read his moves like a book.  I knew exactly what he was going to do right before he tried, so none of his attacks worked.  On the other hand, my attacks were making contact now and then.  I was winning.

The stake was still jammed into Andrew's shoulder, but he didn't seem to notice.  He aimed a kick at my almost dead heart, but i dodged and aimed my foot at his throat.  Luckily for me, it hit him, almost breaking his neck.

Austin had already gotten to his feet and was dealing with curly, who was hopping around, still trying to kill one of us.  Shorty had never returned after I had sent him flying through the trees.

Austin picked curly up and threw him into a tree with enough force to knock the tree over.  Curly didn't get up after that.

Me and Andrew continued to fight for about five more minutes before I broke his nose with my foot and he gave up.  He hadn't touched me once, but I had injured him several times.  He retreated, carring the sack and the bodies of the two slayers with him.

Me and Austin stood there for a few seconds, then started to make our way back to the hotel.

"Are you alright?" Austin asked me.

"Yeah, you?"

"Fine here.  When Andrew dropped me I did cut my arm on the stake he was holding, but it's alright."

We didn't say anything else until we got back to the hotel.

When we reached our room and entered, Penelope and Connie were both sitting on the couch.  Riley and Mathew were sleeping.

"Our mission was a complete failure," Austin stated.