Sentenced to Death (Chapter Nine)

Chapter Nine

"I remember it clearly," Austin stated, spacing out.  He stared at the window as he spoke.  "There was glass everywhere on the floor, and I had been cut on the cheek."

He looked back at me.  "Oh, sorry.  I forgot to tell you about my family.  I was an only child and had both my parents.  My father had short brown hair and glasses, and he wasn't very tall.  He wasn't short either.  His name was Wade.  My mother was rather tall, with long black hair that went to her waist.  She was very pretty and her name was Kitty.

"My mother had what me and my dad called 'amnesia attacks.'  She would randomly forget things, and then remember them later.  It was horrible when she had these attacks.  She forgot a lot of things, but the worst was that she forgot who me and dad were.  She would start screaming and breaking things, yelling at us to get out of her house.  She hurt me a lot.  She always felt awful when she remembered.  My dad had to restrain her when she forgot who we were, or she would kill us.  He got hurt a lot too.  My mother didn't always have these attacks.  It had started when I was three and a half.

"So one day, my mother had one of her attacks and broke the glass cups on the table that I had put out for dinner.  She through one of them at me, and that was how I had gotten cut on my cheek."  He pointed to a thin line on his left cheek.

"A shard of glass had gotten stuck there, and as I was trying to get it out, they came.  They must have smelled the blood on me and my father.  My father had slipped on some glass and cut his leg.

"There were three of them, all male.  One with long black hair in a ponytail grabbed my father and threw him at him at our cabinet, breaking the glass doors.  I could tell he was hurt, and I was still backing away from my mother, paralyzed.  I crouched down in fear in the corner of the room, and my mother came back to her senses as one of the men picked her up by the neck.  She screamed me and my fathers name right before the man broke her neck.

"The man holding her licked her blood of his hands and I quickly looked away.  'Dad!' I had screamed, but the only thing he said back was run.  I didn't want to see what happened next so I did as he said and ran.  I could still feel the blood on the cheek as I made it outside, only to find the third man waiting for me.  He was smaller than the other two, and had short blonde hair.

"'You're in luck little man,' he told me with a grin on his face.  Then he leeped foward and bit my neck.  The pain was worse than anything I had ever felt in my life.  'Ya see, we aint aloud to kill or drink blood from anyone under ten.'  I could hardly hear him since I was screaming so loud.  'By the way, your skin will heal any cuts or other injuries.  I would remove that shard of glass from your cheek 'cause it will prevent the cut from healing.'

"I didn't do as he said, which is why I still have this cut.  I have a reason for not removing it.  When the vampire was talking to me, it sounded like I was going to change.  So I left this cut there, and kept the shard of glass, so I wouldn't forget who I was."

There was silence, and I wondered if his story was over.  He kept talking though.

"After I had become a vampire, I was really thirsty.  I knew what I wanted, and tried to resist the need for it.  I didn't win.

"I ran into town and found a house with only one person living in it.  I killed the old man, draining him."

Austin realized that I didn't want to hear that stuff, so he skipped some of the details.

"Back then," he continued.  "I had thought that you had to take all of it, instead of small portions from different people.  I realized that after a few decades of being a vampire.  By then, my appearance was eight years old, even though I was way older.

"After I stopped killing, I never wanted to again.  That is, until I looked about fifteen."

Serenity threw a pillow at him.  "That's far enough," she told him.

"Alright I'll stop."

It was getting close to noon, so we still had hours to go before night.  Even so, Austin and Serenity both decided to sleep for a few hours.  Neither of them had slept during the night.

Connie told me that I could go down to the hotel's pool if I wanted to, but I said no.  I couldn't help but think that she might have just been trying to get me out of the room.

I thought about Austin's story.  I wonder why Serenity had stopped him, and knew that I might never find out.

"Are you three ever going to tell me your stories?" I questioned Riley, Connie, and Penelope.

Riley and Penelope just looked at me, and Connie replied "Maybe."

The rest of the day wasn't very exciting.  Riley left to go back to the square where I used to live to see what had happened after we left.  Penelope didn't think It was safe to go alone, since my father had been so near, and went after him a few minutes after he left.

I ended up taking a nap on the couch till they got back.

When they did get back, Austin and Serenity were awake.

"Well," Riley started.  "It isn't the same there."