Sentenced to Death (Chapter Ten)

Chapter Ten

We were all looking at Riley.  Serenity, Austin, and Connie didn't seem surprised, but then again neither did I.  I would have been shocked to have heard that everything was completely normal there.  I knew somebody would have noticed that six people had just disapeared.

"How's my mom?" I asked.  Last time I had seen her she was in an ambulance.

"She's fine," Penelope informed me.  I gave a sigh of relief.

"Tell us," Austin demanded, getting off the bed he had been sitting on.  "Tell us what has happened there.  Did he kill anyone?"  I knew that when he said 'he' he was talking about my father.

"No," Riley assured us.  "Someone had called the police after we left though.  They asumed that we had started the fire, since we did leave shortly afterward without any warning.  They are also worried because they don't know where Mathew is."  Riley looked at me.

"How's my house?"

"Damaged."  That didn't surprise me either.

"I never would have guessed," I said sarcastically.

"Very damaged."

"What happened to our house?" Serenity asked.

"The police searched it because they think we kidnapped Mathew," Penelope told her.

"Which you did," I pointed out.

"We're only doing this to protect you," Serenity said, looking at me.  "If we had left you there then you would have been killed by your father.  He shows no mercy not even to family."

"But I'm not a vampire," I almost yelled.

"You are a half vampire and you will become a full vampire so accept it."  She said, pointing at me.

"If I am a vampire then why don't you trust me?"

They were motionless.

"What are you talking about?" Connie asked me.

"You are keeping things from me.  I can tell."

"Like what?"

"Like how you knew that my father had a son who was a half vampire and you knew were I lived.  I'm sure he didn't just tell you that."

Everyone was silent.  Austin was looking at Serenity.  After awhile, Serenity answered me.

"So what if I am keeping something from you?  It doesn't concern you."

So they still weren't going to tell me where they got there information from.  That's fine.  They still have to tell me more about vampires though.

"Do vampires have laws?" I asked.  It was a little random.

"What makes you think that?" Austin asked.

"Because when you were telling me your story you mentioned that vampires weren't allowed to drink blood from kids."

"You noticed that huh?" He sighed.  "Well, yeah we kinda do have laws.  You see, not all vampires are like us.  Most love what they are and kill their prey."

I shivered when he said 'prey'.

"We have a royal family in charge of what we are allowed to do as vampires.  We listen to them too."

The vampires have a royal family?  I didn't know that, and since I'm a half vampire, I guess I have to listen to them too.

"Who are they exactly?" I wondered aloud.

"They are the first vampires that walked the Earth," Penelope answered my question.

"They must be very old then."

"Not at all."  I gave her a stumped look.

"Let me explain," she started with a smile.  "Vampires aren't immortal at first, but they can be.  If a vampire chooses not to live forever, then they age extremely slowly.  Throughout their life, at any time they can decide to stop aging.  They can't go back on this decision though.  Even though they will stop aging, they can still be killed by the same things as vampires who do age, except dying of age.

"So the royal family all stopped aging."

"Who all is in the family?"

"There is the king, Ross Appel.  He has a wife named Ayako Appel, and two daughters and one son.  The oldest daughter is Irene Appel, the middle child is Josh Appel, and the youngest daughter is Alina Appel."

I felt like I was in school and should be taking notes.  I wasn't someone who forgot things easily, but something tells me that a lot is going to happen from now on so I might forget this.

"So, are they a real family, or a bunch of vampires that joined together?" I questioned.

"They are a real family," Connie answered.  "We don't exactly know how they became vampires, and they don't seem to like to talk about it."

Later at night, after I was done taking a shower, I went to bed.  I had a strange dream.  It was full of beautiful people with red eyes.  I guess I never realized it, but vampires are beautiful.  The thing that was weird in my dream was that I was among the handsome men, and I was older.

I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night.  At first, nothing seemed different.  Connie and Penelope were both sleeping, and the other three were awake.  Then I realized that Serenity and Austin were leaving.

I jumped out of the bed closest to the far wall with the window.

"Why are you leaving?  Where are you going?"  I asked them, stopping right in front of them.

Riley put a hand on my shoulder.  Man it was cold.  I shivered and he took it off.

"Sorry," he apologized.  "but you don't have to worry, go back to bed."

"Where are you going?" I repeated, ignoring Riley.

"We are going back to get your clothes," Serenity said.  "Or do you injoy wearing the same thing forever?"

I looked down at my clothes.  They were rather dirty from sleeping on the floor in the forest the other night, and I have been wearing them since yesterday.  It was hard to believe that the party was only yesterday.

I threw a glance at the clock.  It was two in the morning, so I guess the party was two days ago.

"Well bye!" Austin said, and the next second they were out the door and in the hallway.

"Bye," I mumbled, turning around to go back to bed.

I fell asleep easily, but something kept worring me.  Was I actually worring about these people?  I told myselft that these people had rid me of my home, family, and friends, so I mustn't like them.

Little did I know that I wasn't going to think that in the morning.