To The Other Side

I smiled proudly and walked out with my new cane, seeing everyone look at the gifts they can buy. "O'Mally." I scolded gently, catching him trying to snatch a man's pocket watch. I looked over and saw the famous critic that wrote the story about my group being a circus. "Ah, Mr. Benem from the Harret. Come to take in another show, huh?" I said with a smile. "Tell me, Mr. Barnum, does it bother you that everything you're selling is fake?" He asked with a snarky smile. 

"Do these smiles seem fake? Doesn't matter where they come from. The joy is real." I said with my own smile. "So you are a philanthropist." He said with a nod. "Well, hyperbole isn't the worst crime. Men suffer more from imagining too little, too much." I said with a bigger smile, letting him know he can't get to me. "The creed of a true fraud." He said with another snarky smile as I walked down to him. 

"Mr. Benem, when was the last time you smiled or had a good laugh, a real laugh?" I asked as he went silent. "A theater critic who can't find the joy in theater. Now who's the fraud?" I asked and started walking away then stopped. "Oh, um...Mr. Benem, that word you used to describe my show," I paused and looked at my new sign, "has a nice ring to it." I finished and tipped my hat and walked away with a smile. The sign having 'P.T. Barnum's Circus' in gold letters. 

~~~~~^_^~~~~~

I took Lily gently by the hand and helped her out of the carriage. I have blindfolded the poor girl to surprise her for a big surprise. For the carriage we used zebras which turns out to be Lily's favorite animal. "Where are you taking me?" She asked with a smile as I chuckled. "You'll see." I said with a smile and walked her a bit. "Okay, are you ready?" I asked and took off her blindfold. 

I stood beside her then looked at her reaction. It was the abandoned house that I played in as a kid and I have excitedly found out that she also ran away to the same house when I wasn't around. So to surprise her, I bought the house. "Is it...?" She asked as I wrapped an arm around her. "It is." I said softly and looked at her as she had a bright smile. 

"Come on! Let's go!" I said as we ran to the door we pushed them open and walked in. "Wow....it's beautiful, you know without all the overgrown plants." She said and let out a giggle as I chuckled a bit. "How much did you spend on this place?" She asked as looked at me. "That doesn't matter. This is the place you deserve." I said and gently held her arms while standing in front of her. 

"Shall we?" I asked as I grabbed her hand and pulled her close, and started dancing with her. I don't know what has come over me, but being with her made me feel wonderful then what I've ever feel. "Phin, it's beautiful, but I don't need all this to be-" I cut her off by picking her up as she laughed. "Welcome to your new home, Lily." I said with a smile and set her down, feeling my heart pound harshly against my chest. 

~~~~~^_^~~~~~

To celebrate, I took her to a ballet. She seemed to enjoy the talented little girls dance gracefully across the stage. I looked at her as she was wearing a cloak which made me wish she didn't. After the show, we walked out to see the girls as she smiled brightly. I smiled at her happiness then looked to see a figure that stood out. "Who's that man over there?" I asked her and gestured to the young fellow. "Oh, that's Phillip Carlyle. He's quite a scandal they say. 

His last play was a hit in London." She said as she moved her cloak to see a bit. "Play?" I asked as she hummed. "Pay good money to stand around and watch people talk for two hours. And they call me a carni." I said as she gave a soft giggle. We looked at the ballerinas as one walked over. I assumed they said something mean since they walked away leaving the girl. I had picked Lily a tiger-stripped rose from our garden before coming here and she put it in her hair. 

She walked over to the little girl and knelt down, taking the flower out of her hair and held it out to her. "You did beautiful up there. Very graceful." She said softly with a smile. The little girl smile a bit and gently took the rose the hugged her. "Thank you." She said as Lily hugged back. I smiled at the sight. We left after that and I couldn't help but fall more for such a wonderful woman.