III

Back to somewhere between the death of Yiling Patriarch Wei WuXian and thousands of years before Wei WuXian chose to be reincarnated.

Lan WangJi has spent years regetting his actions of not standing by Wei WuXian's side after he died (the sacraficial ritual performed by Mo Xuanyu failed).

He has regretted not standing by him. To fight with him.

Regretted that he did not communicate to him better. Making the other misunderstand his intentions.

He chose to stick with the rigid Gusu rules instead of the promise they made together, to fight evil together. He didn't stay by his side in the past life time. Time ran out. He didn't have a chance to correct his mistake. They were unable to become cultivation partners.

Because of the regret and pain, he did not want to reincarnate into a human, knowing that Wei WuXian also would do the same as Wei WuXian left the world in grief, hating how the world has become. He knew Wei WuXian did not want to reincarnate into a human thinking he would also bring misfortune to his new family members. So he also chose not to reincarnate unless Wei WuXian would.

He remained as a soul by his brother's side, Lan XiChen, who was a guardian angel. Lan XiChen has now become the Guardian Angel Leader looking over all the matters of guardian angels.

Once dead, if privelleged enough (and the Twin Jades of Lan are), they can choose anything they wish to reincarnate to or let the Angel of reincarantion to choose for them just like the rest. Angels and other mythical beings would retain the past memories but humans would have a clean slate again.

For his only brother he deeply cared about, he did not rush Lan WangJi to be reincarnated. He knew who he was waiting for. Wei WuXian. Lan XiChen still thinks that he's the only mistake Lan WangJi as made.

Lan XiChen was not sure as to why Wei WuXian did not reincarnate yet. He has asked the Angel of Reincarnation to keep him updated in advance when he feels that Wei WuXian would start the process of reincarnation so that he could inform WangJi.

Until thousands of years have passed. It was the modern day now.

The angel of reincarnation could not stand the two souls not wanting to be reincarnated. One unwilling to be reincarnated and the other waiting for the other. So the angel informed Lan XiChen that he was going to make him reborn into a human without the memories of the past since he was unwilling to reincarnate because of his memories. He asked what Lan WangJi wanted to be reincarnated into. To be a human meant he would not know who Wei WuXian is anymore. Whether they are fated would depend on whether the other soul wants him and whether the Angel of Love wants them to be together and not create another version of what happened in the cultivation world.

Fearing the worst. Him forgetting Wei WuXian who he has dearly engraved to memory from when they first met when they were 15 years old to the very last words of what Wei WuXian said to him, 'Get lost!', he did not want to forget a single one. Filled with regret, Lan WangJi chose not to be reborn as a human but to be a guardian angel. Wei WuXian's guardian angel.

❤❤❤❤❤

How has everyone been?

I spent my first week of uni regretting life decisions... lol? I spent hours talking to my parents about whether I should change my course form a double degree to a single law degree. And guess what, I haven't fully dropped my other course yet but I'm now doing all law subjects till I can fully change.

I have so many law readings to do and I'm so behind... I mean I'm getting there. - not as interesting and fluffy as WangXian fanfics but need to get things done.