XII

It was the 15th of February. One week until his favourite artist was putting on an exhibition. He already planned on going. But that was before the accident. 

"What's the point of going to see an art exhibiton if I can't see the art" he mumbled. 

*knock knock*

Interrupted from his daze, he opened the door. 

"It's time to eat." Lan WangJi peeked behind him and saw the cloth covering one of his old artworks off. 

"Then why aren't you going hahah"

"Mn. Let's go"

Breakfast was quiet. Jiang Cheng was thinking about the case. Yanli and Lan WangJi was staring at Wei WuXian who was abnormally quiet. 

After breakfast, Jiang Chneg immediately left to work. Yanli talked to Lan WangJi once Wei WuXian returned to his room. 

"WangJi. Give A-Xian some space. His favourite artist is holding an exhibition but." Yanli paused, understanding her brother's concerns and disappointment in not being able to see. "But, he-"

"I understand."

Yanli smiled, glad she didn't have to say it out loud. "Look after A-Xian. I'm going out to buy groceries. Do you have anything you want?"

"No thank you."

(I recommend listening to this song while reading.)

As Yanli left, Lan WangJi crouched on the floor outside Wei WuXian's room. 

'Weiying. I'm by your side. I'll always be here. You don't have to notice me. I just need you to be okay'.  

Meanwhile, Wei WuXian was touching all his paint brushes, pencils, canvases, old paintings and workbooks. He did think of never touching them ever again but he couldn't. Can he cry? No. What could crying do. It won't grant him the wish of being able to see. He won't be able to paint or draw what he sees. Should he get angry? No. It won't solve anything as well. 

But he couldn't help it. He pushed his paint brushes onto the ground. Pushed his art stand down. Pushed his canvases over. 

Hearing the noise, Lan WangJi didn't care and immediately went in to see Wei WuXian sitting there silently. He walked closer. Wei WuXian isn't crying. It wasn't smiling. His face was passive. But Lan WangJi saw the unshed tears in his eyes.

Lan WangJi sat beside him. He wanted to hug him, to offer him warmth and comfort. To reassure Wei WuXian, he is here by his side. 

He decides to disturb that silence Wei WuXian was in, even if he may have not wanted it. He would distrub the silence like Wei WuXian used to do to him back in Cloud Recesses many years ago.

"Weiying."

"..."

"Cry if you want to."

"Hahaha" The laughter Lan Wangji heard did not have a hint of happiness in it at all.  "Why would I cry?"

"You're in pain. I'm here. I'm always by your side."

Wei WuXian stayed quiet. Lan WangJi, in the end, didn't know how to disturb someone. Lan Wangji was always better with actions and not words.

He moved closer to Wei WuXian. Their shoulders were now stuck together. Slowly, Wei WuXian leaned his head on his shoulder.

"Let me stay like this for a while Lan Zhan. I'm not crying. I'm just tired."

"Mn. Anything you want." He looked down at Wei Wuxian who had already closed his eyes. 

He then heard small sniffles and felt his shirt getting wet.

Lan WangJi immediately held him in his arms. He wanted to hum WangXian to calm him down but these tears were held back for over a month. He needed to cry it out.

"Cry it out Weiying. It'll be alright. I'm here with you."

"Always?"

"Yes. As long as Weiying wants."

"Even forever?"

"Forever it is."

"Lan Zhan"

"Hm?"

"Can you sing me that song?"

Lan WangJi started singing the song immediately.

"Lan Zhan. You're like my guardian angel. You're always there when I'm in danger or lonely."

'That's the truth Weiying. I really am your guardian angel.' "Mn. I'll be your guardian angel then."

Connecting the pieces together, Lan WangJi knew why Wei WuXian was so down in the morning. 

"Weiying."

"Yeah Lan Zhan?"

"I'll be your eyes from now on."

"..."

"Wherever you go, I go. I'll describe everything I see to you for you to draw."

"Thank you Lan Zhan."