Chapter 24:

Nat's POV:

"Are you being serious right now, Nat?" he asked me. His tone sounded worried but his face told me otherwise. He wore a big smile, and even though he tried to hide it, I could still see it clearly.

"Yes, I'm serious. I don't want to go through this horrible dinner alone, You said you wanted to meet them, here is your chance," I said, grabbing his hands and pulling him closer to me. I opened the door slowly, giving him time to object, but he didnt.

"Okay, this better not turn out horribly," he said sighing. But, non the less, he entered my house without any complaints.

"It's my family, of course it will," I teased, well sort of.

I felt him squeeze my hand and halt in the middle of the door way. I tried tugging a bit to try to get him to move but he still didn't budge.

"What is that supposed to mean?" he asked concerned.

"Nothing, I was just joking, c'mon," I said, tugging his hand again in hopes that he would move.

He let me lead him further inside, thankfully. I thought I was nervous earlier, he puts me to shame, I never thought I'd see the day when Travis is a ball of nerves. It's sort of cute, I mean, he's always acting all high an mighty in class. Seeing him like this is a breath of fresh air. I still wish he would relax a bit. The worst that could happen is...well I'm not quite sure what that would be. I've never actually brought a guy to have dinner with my parents and "important people."

I knew my parents would be in the dining room getting everything ready for later so I went straight there. My father was not there, probably outside smoking or drinking, who knows, but my mother was. She was standing, inspecting the dining table thoroughly, making sure every detail was perfect.

"Hey mom," I said trying to get her attention. She turned, a smile forming at her lips, it disappeared just as quickly once she saw I wasn't alone.

"Who is this?" she said, not at all friendly sounding.

"My boyfriend, Travis. He will be joining us for dinner tonight," I said, giving her a smirk.

"Why do you always have to go against everything? Would it kill you to actually be a good daughter for once without doing things like this? I'm sure your a lovely guy and what ever she offered you to come and pretend is not worth it." She raised her voice at me then lowered it as she spoke to Travis. Her words usually don't bother me when she insults me but bringing Travis into her mess hit a nerve.

"Get your head out of your ass, mother. Whether you like it or not, he is my boyfriend and I brought him here to meet my parents not to make your life miserable, that's just a bonus," I fired back bitterly. If looks could kill I'd be dead. She was looking at me with such anger it was pleasant to watch.

"Go put on something decent, our guests will be arriving soon," she said before turning around and continuing her search for imperfections like the previous conversation never happened.

I decided it would be best to do as she did and ignore everything so I grabbed Travis's hand and lead him to my room.

"I don't think she likes me," Travis spoke up once we reached my room and I locked the door.

"She doesn't know you, she just thinks your part of a plan, which by the way, is not true," I said taking off my clothes and finding a simple black dress to replace them with.

"So I'm not part of your plan to make your mother pissed all the time?" he replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

"No, you're not," I said slipping on my dress. Walking over to him, I placed my hand on his chest. "You're here because I couldn't imagine going through this without you."