The beginning

Madison's POV:

"MADISON! Get down here, it's time!" My social worker's voice echoed up the stairs. Lydia.

"Coming!" I yelled back, my feet pounding down the steps. Game day. Soccer was my escape, my passion. I'd been playing since I was seven, and I owed it all to Lydia. She was the one who suggested it as a way to tame my anger. It worked.

Lydia had been my rock since I was five, the closest thing to family I had after my parents died and I landed in foster care. She taught me everything, from English to riding a bike. But the foster home... it wasn't a real family. The other kids were a handful, and I always felt like the forgotten toy, the one you toss out when something new and shiny comes along.

Now, at sixteen, I was the oldest. The one they'd be happy to see move on.

"You ready, Mads? This is a big one today," Lydia said, her eyes on the road as we drove towards Jean Bouin Stadium.

"Yeah... ready," I mumbled, my voice barely a whisper.

She shot me a concerned look. "Something wrong?"

"Just... nervous, I guess. You know this is my dream, to play in America."

Lydia pulled into the stadium parking lot and turned to face me. "I know it is. And you're going to make it happen. You're Madison St. Germain, and nothing can stop you. You always get what you set your mind to."

Her words were reassuring, but the knot in my stomach remained.

"Even if today doesn't go your way," she continued, "don't let that anger take over. This isn't the only chance you'll get. You have so much talent, Mads. And don't forget how lucky you are to be playing for PSG."

She was right. I was lucky. PSG's U18 team was a huge deal, and this match was even bigger. We were facing Lyon, and there were rumors of American scouts being in the stands.

"Now get out there and play your heart out," Lydia said with a smile. "I'll be cheering for you."

I hugged her tight, feeling a wave of gratitude wash over me. Then I headed towards the locker room, my heart pounding.

Inside, Marie and Paola were waiting, their faces a mix of excitement and nerves. We chatted and got ready, the tension building with each passing minute.

Finally, it was time. We walked onto the field, the roar of the crowd hitting me like a wave. Lyon was already there, their eyes locked on us.

I took a deep breath, the familiar scent of grass and sweat filling my nostrils. This was it. This was my chance.

The referee raised his whistle.

Game on.

I hope you guys liked it!
- A