Chapter 4: Clio Benson

February 16th
I sat quietly on the edge of my bed. My hands lay in the folds of my faded black dress. I had just come back from the Funeral. It had been small. Really it wasn't even a funeral. I just watched them being buried as I stood next to Peter and Aunt May. There's was barely anyone there. Nick, Peter, Aunt May, Uncle Ben, Officer Ledger, a pastor, two friends from my mom's work and a man from my dads work.  That was it. The Benson's didn't have many friends.

Now I was sitting in my room listening to Nick, the agency and the police argue about me. Where would I go? Who was going to take care of me? Was there anyone? Nick was saying that he could take me, but didn't think it was a good idea. The police were saying that I should go to a foster home. The agency said they had a opening. Nick yelled at them saying that "over his dead body will that girl go into the system". The police didn't like that. Although technically it wasn't their choice. Everyone seemed to forget about me quietly sitting in the room.

For an hour the yelling continued. I could feel tears slowly dropping off my face and I wiped them away with my dry hands. I didn't know what to think. Did i miss my parents? Well, yes. Or no. I didn't know. Yes they hurt me, insulted me and ignored me. But they still raised me. Which means there was some touch of love there. I wished Peter was there to hold me. He almost was before the Police said the Parker family wasn't allowed in the room. Why didn't i go live with them.

I listened for a moment just to realize the yelling had stopped and there were footsteps heading my way.  I looked up as the door swung open to reveal Nick and the women from the agency. Nick kneeled down in front me and looked straight into my eyes.

"Clio I need your honesty right now. More then ever."

"Mr. Fury..." The women sighed in exasperation.

Nick's voice got a little louder. "You promise me you will be honest?"

I simply nodded.

"Good. The agency and police want to make decisions for you. But I think you are old enough to decide. And since I am your social worker and your guardian, I get to decide what you decide. So here are 2 options. I just want your opinion Ok?"

Nod again.

"First. A foster home provided by the agency."

"No." I said quickly.

"Ok that's what I thought. So here's the next option. I know someone. I trust them. They will be willing to foster you for a while. And no," he stopped me, "It's not part of the system. It's someone I know. I've worked with their company before and they can be here by tomorrow to pick you up."

"Nick why cant I live with you? Or Peter!" I whispered.

My friend smiled sadly and took my hands. "If you could live with Peter, I would have already made that happen. You know that. But the agency and police said there would be a court case that could take a very long time because of... legal issues. Ok?"

I frowned slightly. "What legal issues?

"Do you trust me enough to go with this person?"

"How long?"

"Until they decide to adopt or issues subside in terms of legality and you can stay with the Parkers. You have to make a choice."

"Where would I be moving with this person?"

"California."

"California?! That's so far away!"

The agency women tapped her foot against the ground and checked her watch. "Then I guess you've made your choice. Clio if you could gather your things in the boxes the police will provide-"