4

"Princess." Pingting's voice was gentle.

From a higher platform, she could only see Bai Pingting's drooping neck, white and smooth.

Even though this woman was not beautiful, she was touching in another way.

Yaotian quietly watched her for a while, saying, "No need for excessive politeness. The Prince Consort told me to look after you when he left, so I have come to see you." She said this while stepping into the room, her black eyes swirling around.

The room was well-furnished, and all of the equipped objects were all fine and polished. It did seem to befit for a mistress of a residence.

Yaotian chose a chair by the window, ordering, "You can have a seat." She took the hot tea from Zuiju, her gaze falling on the guqin in the room as she took a sip.

Pingting and Zuiju knew that the main event was to come. Their expressions did not change except becoming more polite. Neither made a sound, obedient.

Yaotian saw enough of that qin before turning towards Pingting. A gentle expression came onto her face. "You were sick that day, so I left in a rush, only hearing songs without conversation. How have you been recently? Missing anything?"

"It's all good."

"Then..." Yaotian assessed Pingting's expression, smiling. "Are you homesick?"

This question was a little strange; so was its tone. Zuiju's heart thumped, revealing the colour of surprise.

Pingting also thought it was very strange. She knew that when He Xia left, Yaotian would let her live in the Royal Residence or some other place where He Xia couldn't find her. As long as she was imprisoned anywhere else but the Prince Consort Residence, the guards would not know her strength and would relax their guard, meaning it would be much easier to escape. However, judging from Yaotian's words, this was not the case.

A hundred thousand thoughts flashed through Pingting's mind at that instant, but there was not a trace of them on her face. She softly replied, "Pingting is an orphan. What home?"

Yaotian was still smiling. "Then think of the Prince Consort Residence as your home, isn't that a good idea?"

There seemed to be a hidden meaning in her words, as it certainly sounded suspicious.

Pingting heard this, her mind thinking up all sorts of impossible theories. She shook her head hard in disbelief and boldly laughed to Yaotian, meeting her gaze. The two people probed the other's mind as sparks flew between them until they already knew what the other was thinking.

Yaotian had plans to make her leave.

How could that be?

But this was not a time for thinking. Time did not wait, and there was no second chance like this. Pingting gritted her teeth in secret and stood up from the chair before falling to her knees, without any explanation or warning. "Please decide for Pingting, Princess!"

Yaotian sat on the chair, lightly replying, "Decide what for you? Is the Prince Consort hurting you?"

"Master treats Pingting very well, but even though Master cherishes Pingting, he doesn't know Pingting's wish."

"Your wish?"

"Pingting...has always wished to live freely, free from the troubles of the world." Pingting looked upwards, her voice was sad. "The Prince Consort Residence has everything, but the tall, ornate tiled walls look like a huge cage to Pingting."

Yaotian frowned, "You want to leave?"

"Yes, I beg Princess to fulfil my wish."

"You are someone extremely cherished by the Prince Consort. How will I explain that I have freed you to the Prince Consort when he returns?"