9

The faint flickering of a fire was filtered through the forest in the southeast direction.

"Other travellers." When Zuiju saw them, she returned the matches and the lamp back into the bags. "I wonder what they're doing."

Pingting's bright eyes stared at the lights that seemed weak due to being shrouded by the forest. She lowered her voice, "This is a road that must be crossed when going from the capital to the Bei Mo borders."

The people who meant her harm clearly knew that Yun Chang, Dong Lin and Gui Le were not places where she could stay. The only possible place she could live was in Bei Mo.

If her traces had been lost at the capital, where else was a better place to ambush her than this road in the mountains?

The night was heavy.

"We must leave!" Zuiju urgently whispered back.

"This is an obstacle that must be dealt with sooner or later." Pingting slowly shook her head, a faint confidence in her lips. "Come with me."

The two quietly crept deeper into the forest. They crossed the lush forest between them until they were near to the many flickers of light they had seen on the mountainous road.

"That wench! How long do we still have'ta wait?"

Hearing their voices, Pingting and Zuiju instinctly lowered themselves, hiding in the bushes.

There were a few men lying and sitting around a campfire. Two or three jugs of alcohol and a few polished swords laid messily on the ground.

"Bandits?" Zuiju whispered softly in Pingting's ear.

Pingting gracefully raised an eyebrow, "Not necessarily."

The crisp sound of a foot snapping a twig suddenly came, causing the two to jump back in fright. They were too afraid to continue talking but continued to peep.

"Yah. Just how long do we 'ave to guard this damned road?"

The man who had his head tilted back exposed his throat to the jug of wine, appearing to be the boss of these people. He muttered, "Cut the crap. If we're to wait, then wait!"

"But we've 'been waiting 'ere every day. When are those two little wenches coming?" Said a scruffy-looking man with the face of a rat as he guarded the campfire.

Two little wenches?

Pingting and Zuiju's hearts thumped in understanding. They exchanged each other a look.

Another man sneezed and sat up. "I reckon, izza day away from capital to 'ere. No movement a'tall in the last three days. Betcha they haven't gone on this road so our waiting is pointless."

"I told you to cut the crap and patiently wait on!" The boss angrily threw away the empty jug. "Those bastards, useless tailing pieces of crap. How could they lose two little whores in the capital? We're the doomed ones, eating the north wind 'ere without a life. The Senior Official said this was a road that must be crossed when going from the capital to the Bei Mo borders and this was a task of utmost importance. If we can't complete it, we'll be eating da cold wind forever."

The man at the campfire lamented at the injustice. "Everyone says that little Bai slut is very cunning. Who knows what road she'd take?"

Zuiju couldn't move at all and tightly clutched onto Pingting's hand under the cover of the bushes.

"Not to worry. Sooner or later she will hit one of our people. The roads that must be crossed when heading to Dong Lin and Gui Le also have people waiting to ambush."