8

"Understood."

Pingting had brought some hot buns from the streets. The two didn't leave the room. They ate inside before heading to the bed to sleep.

The bed of the hotel was very hard, but shockingly Pingting laid down with an extremely pleasant look. She sighed and said, "How comfortable..."

"Have some blankets so you won't be cold." Zuiju quietly asked, "I don't think I can squeeze in. The bed is too small."

"A squeeze is better; it's warmer." Pingting grabbed Zuiju's hands under the blanket, softening her voice. "It's so nice that my child won't be born in the midst of the various schemes. I want him to be born in the mountains and the forests, a place where clean springs run while birds fly overhead."

"Build a little cabin, cook some food at the back and buy and old qin," Zuiju continued.

Pingting began to laugh. "Sounds right." The two people then silently thought about a life in the mountains and forest, immersed in the beauty of the night. Pingting then asked, "Are you not going to return to your Teacher?"

"How could I not return? After so long, I really do miss Teacher." Zuiju's voice was faraway, "When Teacher sees me, he will definitely yell at me."

"Zuiju, let's make a promise."

"Hm?" Zuiju turned, receiving Pingting's serious eyes. Something suddenly came into mind, bursting into her mouth. "I will never tell anyone about your whereabouts, especially the Duke." She then made the oath the way people of Dong Lin did.

Pingting nodded and sighed in relief.

The two then managed to sleep.

Under the same moon, Chu Beijie was unable to sleep that night.

Other than the cold wind of the plains whirling around Chu Beijie's ear, it was silent. He had his sword unsheathed, dancing to its cold light.

A sword was power.

He had once defeated the Bei Mo army on the battlefield in just three commands, shattering the entire morale of the Bei Mo army.

When heroes had swords, their spirits lifted.

As long as they had a sword in hand, they should be without fear, surging ahead without looking back.

He knew the sword in his hand was filled with power, enough to shake all of the earth's strong mountains. After all, how many generals were out there who dared to challenge Chu Beijie?

In the depths his eyes, the lights of the army tents were imprinted onto them. The sleeping soldiers inside them never once suspected that their advisor would lose.

Chu Beijie was someone who could not fail. With him leading them, it was one victory followed by another.

Under the moon, Chu Beijie calmly waved around his sword as he danced. His body was like a dragon, flying around in the night sky of the plains.

His sword techniques were sharp, but his heart was soft.

Not only in a mess, it was also in pain.

The wrenched pain in his heart grew deep until living was more painful than death.

But the more painful his heart, the more he had to endure it. The sword seemed even harsher in response.

In the vast depths of the darkness, the dim lights emitted the slightest haze. They wrapped around his distraught figure as if softly smiling at him.

Every second, every minute, he grew increased understanding of the sorrow Pingting felt as she parted. Yet it was something he could never understand the full extent of, the despair and helplessness that came with it. His skills in swords were unparalleled, and his horse was the best in the world, yet the purest love he had for the most important woman of his life was slowly dissipating.

All those moments before the flowers and the moon had been about the other. Now that he thought about it, those memories should have been unforgettable, yet he had shattered them all without reserve. Why did he realise now that Pingting spent so much effort, despite her uneasiness, to desperately entrust herself to him?

"If you live, I live. If you die, I can only accompany you to death."

"Please let Pingting follow Duke to the ends of the earth. My honour is decided by Duke and my death decided by Duke."

The promise stood, not one word a lie.

Every word was heartfelt, and every word were her tears of blood.

After Luoshan's report, he had gone to the secluded residence, uncovering a pot of pickled plum blossoms in the courtyard where Pingting lived in. When he'd opened it, the soft fragrance flooded into his noise. He seemed to be able to see the scene of Pingting picking the flowers. That scene in his mind was beautiful, a picture of paradise.

She was carrying his flesh and blood.

The flesh and blood of Chu Beijie and Bai Pingting tied, moulded together. That tiny life was hidden in her belly.

He wanted to put his palm on that little belly, gently stroking it. He wanted to place his ears by it, listening to the movement of his own flesh and blood.

This desire was tangled up in his heart, causing a hammering pain. Chu Beijie gripped tightly onto his precious sword, thrusting it fiercely into the wind. It flew freely out of his hands.

Little did he know that the person he wanted to save had already set off on a long journey. That journey was both long and dangerous, ending at the edge of the world.

They were ready to leave by the third day. The wife that had left home after a quarrel was finally flattered enough to go home by her tall and skinny husband. The two excused themselves at the reception. To make the wife happy, the husband appeared to have spent all day buying all sorts of good things for her. When they arrived, all they had were two small bags. Those two had become a huge bag each by the time they left.

"Be careful, Guests. Next time you come back to the capital, make sure to return to our hotel!" The bellboy yelled to send them off.

The taciturn husband didn't say anything, but Zuiju beamed at him.

They got out from the city gates peacefully, walking northeast.

"We still need to buy two horses," said Zuiju.

"It's too noticeable to buy horses in the capital." Pingting took out a rough map she bought from a wandering merchant a few days ago. She looked at it closely for a while. "It seems there is a small town fifteen miles away. It won't be too late to buy a horse after a night's rest."

The two delicate girls walked together, carrying their bags on their backs. Their pace wasn't slow. They barely managed fifteen miles when the signs of night began to fall, but the little town marked on the map was nowhere to be seen.

"Why are we still not there?"

Pingting frowned. "This map isn't as refined as the maps the army uses, so the distance and directions should only be approximate. I reckon the little town is still ahead, at most two more miles."

The cold wind from the mountains seemed to leak through the cracks of the rocks, bringing back numerous horrible-sounding echoes. Zuiju looked around at her surroundings. The trees were gray in the dim light, seeming to hide ghosts, monsters or beasts that would jump out at any time. She shuddered and said, "Miss, this is such a gloomy path, yet we still have to walk two more miles?"

"What else can we do apart from walk? Stay in this dark forest of the mountain for a night perhaps?"

The two gritted their teeth and continued on. The slope on the mountain continued upwards, making each passing minute of walking more tiring. They walked on the twisting mountain road for half an hour, puffing when night had fallen. The moon had risen behind them, casting looming shadows of the trees onto the ground. They seemed to emphasise the eeriness of the forest.

"It's almost too dark to see the road," Zuiju said, "It's about time to light the lamp." She opened the bag, taking out the matches and a small oil lamp. She held the lamp with one hand and was about to light it with the other when Pingting stopped her.

"Be quiet!" Pingting's voice had a sense of urgency as if anxious after detecting danger.

Zuiju suddenly stopped her movement, following the direction of Pingting's gaze.