22

In the snow-capped Songsen mountains, getting the army to surround a well-hidden famous general was an impossibly difficult thing to do.

It was difficult to capture a person like Chu Beijie and even harder to find a good chance.

Not to mention...

"What use is it even if the army is mobilised and kill Chu Beijie in one fell swoop?" Gui Changqing smiled bitterly as he shook his head, reluctantly letting go of this enticing idea. "If the news were to spread, the withdrawing Dong Lin army will immediately rush forwards. This time, they will undoubtedly battle until the very last soldier stands."

This peace they had worked so hard on would be destroyed in a single moment.

This was something that Gui Changqing did not want to see at all.

The messenger had long heard of Chu Beijie's fame and understood that Gui Changqing's words were correct. He couldn't continue to be bold and knelt down. "Messenger will leave the capital tonight. Does Senior Official have any other instructions?"

"Pass this message onto General Chang. Two things. One, don't send any more troops to surround or attack Chu Beijie. This man is extremely aggressive and courageous. He is impossible to kill and will result in meaningless casualties amongst my Yun Chang's soldiers. Not to mention, the war has only just finished so no need to further anger an enemy general. As for the checkpoints, he is only looking for a person, not intending to harm, so there is no need for resistance. Second..." Gui Changqing hesitated for a moment, the light in his eyes flashed. He lowered his voice, "Tell all the people at the checkpoints that no matter what, they mustn't let Chu Beijie meet that woman."

"Yes."

"Remember the second in your heart."

"Yes, I understand."

Gui Changqing watched him, unsatisfied, as he began to depart. His eyes uneasily swept across his surroundings. There was an empty lake beside him, a bridge covered with snow in front where no one could hide without being noticed. Gui Changqing asked the messenger again, "Are you familiar with the Songsen Mountains?"

"I have always been stationed on the Songsen Mountains and is very familiar with the terrain shape of the Songsen Mountains."

"What is your name and what is your job title in the army?"

"Report to Senior Official. My name is Fanlu and is a Vice-General."

"I will now raise you to Valiant General."

"Eh?" Fanlu looked up, stunned. He realised from Gui Changqing's serious expression that it was not a joke. His eyes brightened as he loudly replied, "Thank you, Senior Official! I will definitely do my best to repay Senior Official."

Gui Changqing stepped down the stairs, helping him up as he whispered, "I have a third message, one only for you to hear. It shall come out of my mouth and only enter your ears."

"Yes." Fanlu sternly replied, his voice lowered as he turned his ears towards Gui Changqing.

"That woman may be around the Songsen Mountains and must never be reunited with Chu Beijie. You must find her quicker than Chu Beijie."

"Kill her?"

"No," Gui Changqing replied in a whisper, "no marks on her body that indicates a death due to humans."

The cruel light that only soldiers glinted in Fanlu's eyes. "There are wild beasts out there throughout the year. I know what to do."

"Have you seen her drawing?"