Who Am I?

The next 4 classes went by fast. Mostly because I couldn't stop think about Luke... Wait, did I really just say that? I guess I did. What's so different about Luke? I don't even know the guy, just his name and that he doesn't have many friends, that's of course from what I've seen.

Now it was time for lunch, also known as 'get in, get food, and get out'. I made my way to the lunch line quickly and tried to avoid any eye contact. I grabbed a chicken patty sandwich, a milk, and an orange. Trying to hurry, I passed people, punched in my ID number for the lunch lady, and payed for my lunch. I snuck into the hallways and went towards the stairs.

Where there was a wall between the stairs and the hallway that made a little corner, I sat down and began to eat. I try stay away from anybody who could see me eat. I don't know what it is, but I have a huge fear of eating in front of people.

After half of my sandwich was gone, I heard two pairs of feet down the hallway coming my direction. I pulled my phone out and pretended to be doing something, when my English teacher came around the corner with a student. They started heading down the stairs, then the student looked back at me.

Out of all people to catch me sitting alone in a corner, eating by myself, it was him... Luke, the dreamy eyed boy from English. Luke gave me a questioning look and I just shrugged my shoulders. That's when he smiled. His smile. A bright flash of perfectly straight, pearly white teeth. I couldn't help but smile back. He smiled bigger and turned his head back to continue down the stairs. Meanwhile I was in my little corner blushing like an idiot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During my first 4 classes, I couldn't stop thinking of Luke. After the "run in" at lunch, I definitely couldn't stop thinking of him for the last 4 classes. That boy was stuck in my head like glue. Unfortunately, the school day is over. Who would have ever thought I would say that? Actually, I'm only sad it's over because I have to wait until tomorrow to see Luke again.

I began walking to Jake's car. I cut through the back of the school to the parking lot. I texted Jake asking exactly where his Jeep was. As I awaited his reply, I stood on the sidewalk alone.

"Look who it is!" I heard someone say. Figuring they were talking to someone else, I didn't reply or bother to even look at who it was. Why would I? Nobody would be caught dead talking to me. "You're ignoring me?" the person said again. This time I turned around to find Luke walking up to me.

"Sorry! No I didn't know you were talking to me." I replied, surprised to find him talking to me.

"Well you're the only one out here, unless who have imaginary friends?" I giggled at his comment.

"No, not any more." I played. He chuckled, which brought a smile to my face.

"So what are you doing out here alone?" he asked after a moment of silence.

"Waiting for my brother to pick me up. And to answer the alone part, I don't have friends. Speaking of my brother, he's right there." I point out Jake pulling up.

"Weird to think a girl like you doesn't have many friends. Maybe we can talk longer next time?"

"Of course." I giggle and blush. Jake pulled into the middle of the lot meaning he had time. Seeing as I already told Luke that Jake was here, I should just go.

"And who are you?" he asked. I didn't respond, instead I stood, thinking.

"A Rebel?" he urged, curiosity clear in his voice. Silence took over. Not a moment later, I knew.

"No. Reject." with that I turned around and walked to the car.

"I'll remember that one, Reject." he yelled over the now distance between us. I smiled to myself before opening the door. Maybe this guy is different...

Maybe he is different from every other boy. Maybe he cares.