Chapter 6

They both woke up around the same time the next morning.
"What do you want for breakfast?" Kian asked.
"French toast, if you can make it." Haley answered.
"I don't have enough bread; will pancakes be okay instead?"
"Sure." Haley told him.
Kian mixed up the batter and got the first batch going.
"Do you like anything particular on them?"
"Regular syrup. For special occasions, I love strawberries and whipped cream." Haley answered, wishing she had some strawberries right now.
Kian pointed to the fridge.
"There's some strawberries in there. I just bought some a few days ago for a smoothie recipe. There's a can of whipped cream too."
"Wow. You really do know how to cook." Haley beamed, smiling at him.

Haley got the strawberries out, cut them up, and added a small amount of sugar to make them syrupy. Kian had the pancakes finished by then and they sat down for breakfast. After they finished eating, he took care of the dishes while Haley freshened up for them to go to her flat to get her things.

Haley gave Kian directions to her flat, ending up near a block with high-rises that were tenements in the fifties. When she unlocked the door, he was surprised on how sparse it was. There was a couch that looked at least twenty years old, a breakfast nook with a bench, and other than a few pictures, no decorations. A lamp sat by the couch, and the tv was an older model

"Whoa. You're pretty minimalist." Kian said.
"If I had a little extra cash, I'd go nuts with decorations." She answered meekly, going into the bedroom to get her clothes; she didn't have a whole lot.
Kian busied himself picking up Haley's books and putting them in a bin. He was helping her get some food cleaned out of her pantry and they were discussing about what to do with it; take it to his flat, or donate it to a soup kitchen or shelter? Just then, they heard a voice at the door.
"Haley, what are you doing?" A man said, carrying a note of irritability.
Haley held back a breath.
"Dad, I'm getting my stuff together. I got a place to stay with a friend from work."
"Who's this bloke?" Haley's father asked, sounding disgusted.
"I'm said friend." Kian replied, hoping to diffuse the situation.

"Ah, some Arab sugar daddy? You must be what? Sixteen years older than her?" Haley's father asked, becoming more agitated.
"About twelve." Kian said through clenched teeth.
"What's the matter with you?" Haley was beginning to get angry.
"You can't be serious? What? Trying to be a princess and marry yourself to a rich man?" Haley's dad yelled.
"You know I don't care about that. I just want a place to stay." Haley shouted.
Kian felt himself flush with anger, but kept his cool.
"I'm a cardio thoracic surgeon. And I have every good intention towards Haley. Oh, and I grew up in Canada." Kian answered, clenching his hands.

"What do you want, Dad?" Haley cut in, stepping in between the two men.
"The breakfast nook, I want it back." Her father answered emotionlessly.
"That's it? No 'how can I help you move out?' Or 'can I have your new address?' You want the nook you bought at a charity shop?" Haley said, almost sounding like she might cry.
Her father just shrugged.
"I'll let the landlord know." Haley answered through gritted teeth. Her father turned to leave, glancing at Kian on the way out.
"She's a nutter, you know? Been that way since me wife died." He said, as if his daughter wasn't even in the room. Kian closed the kitchen door behind him.

"Is he always like that?" Kian asked, crossing his arms.
"No. Just when he's been drinking. He's off his face tonight." Haley answered, looking a bit nervous.
"Why don't you wait here? I'll get your stuff." Kian said, pulling off his scrub pants. He changed into his sweats and picked up her clothes.
"Goodbye, Dad." Haley answered, giving her father the hint that he needed to leave.

The rest of the time in the flat went by fast. Surprisingly, Kian and Haley were able to get all of her stuff in his car. The furniture and appliances had been there when Haley moved in, so they left them there. Kian was so patient.

Kian helped Haley unpack her few boxes of belongings when they got back to his place. She seemed upset following the confrontation with her father, but relieved to be away.
"Don't worry about rent. I make more than enough money." Kian said out of the blue.
"I don't know.... I feel like I'm mooching." Haley answered reluctantly.
"Well...you work only a few days a week, and my schedule can be unpredictable because of emergencies. How about on days you're home early or have off, you can cook dinner. I can do dinner on days you work a later shift or on the weekend. You can buy the essential groceries and the ingredients you need. That, and maybe do some light house cleaning."
"Sounds fine!" Haley beamed. Kian loved food and Haley was a great cook, so it already seemed like they would make great roommates. They didn't know how long they'd be living together, but they were happy to have each other.