Chapter 14

The sun had just come up when Kian opened his eyes. Haley was murmuring in her sleep, somewhere between dreaming and waking. Kian squeezed her hand a little tighter, his heart racing. Haley woke up just then, her eyelids fluttering.
"Kian."
"It's alright, Haley, I'm here." He whispered gently, cupping her face in his hand.
"I'm sorry.... I......I.....just....wanted....it to...stop." She sobbed.
"Shhh." Kian hushed her, placing his finger on her lips.."If you don't want to talk about it, it's okay."
Haley sat up in bed, and put her arms around him. She cried into his shoulder.
"I'm just so scared! I don't want to feel like this anymore. It hurts too much! But I can't not feel it! I can't!" She cried out. Her body was shaking.
Kian rubbed her back, trying to sooth her as she continued to weep into his shoulder. "Haley. We can work through this; you need to let me in." He said, kissing her forehead.
"My dad....he....he....said that....I was...a..mistake. That's why he's rejected me." She cried harder.
"I'm so sorry, Haley." Kian began soothingly. "We'll get through this together. It's alright. He's never going to hurt you again." Kian whispered.
He kissed her forehead, wishing he could take all of her sadness away. Make her the happy girl he had fallen in love with.
"You have every reason to walk away." He heard her say.
"No, Haley. I love you and I'll never leave you."
"You mean it?" She answered, the tears still coming down her cheeks.
"Every word." Kian promised.
Haley kissed him on his stubbled jaw, her breath shaky and Kian held her tightly. Alone, they had been struggling and broken, but together they knew they could be strong for each other.

A hospital counselor came in not long after, and after a brief exchange offered Haley a list of nearby therapists. Haley was a little reluctant.
"I don't know how much my insurance will cover."
"Don't worry; I'll help you pay for it." Kian assured her.

When the counselor left, Kian sat down next to her on the bed. He had another burden to share.

"I know what you're feeling. Not that long ago I felt that everything could be numbed with a pill. When Vanessa died, I took drugs to dull the pain and keep working. Until I couldn't function without them." Kian said solemnly.
"And what happened?" Haley asked.
"I'll spare you the details, but let's just say that I was in a dark place that almost ended my life. Before that, I thought my life had no meaning without Vanessa. But you put up with me, and taught me to heal and learn to live again."
"I love you, Kian." Haley said. "I need you.
Haley started crying again, and Kian hugged her a little tighter. He knew he had told her a painful secret, but he knew that she needed to hear it.

"I'm never going to walk away from you, Haley." He said, stroking her hair.
"I know that now." She replied, softly kissing him.

They continued kissing, their lips moving in sync. Reluctantly, they broke apart, knowing they couldn't do this in the hospital.

"I love you so much." Kian sighed, kissing her forehead. Haley stroked his face.
"We both healed each other, now we need to heal the rest." She said.