Chapter 7

When Kian and Haley finished putting Haley's things away, they didn't feel like making anything for dinner. They strolled over to a fast food place down the street from the flat and both ordered burgers and chips.
"How do you like your burger?" Haley asked him.
"I love double bacon cheeseburgers. You?"
"A quarter pounder with all the trimmings."
There was a thought that had been on Kian's mind since they left Haley's old flat.
"You're dad, he said you were...." he stopped, not knowing how to finish the sentence.
"I have some sort of depression." Haley finished for him. There was a moment of uncomfortable silence.
"Do you have anything; counseling? Meds?" Kian asked. He didn't know much about mental health, but he knew what it could do to a person from experience.
Haley shook her head.
"I'm not like if I don't take meds I go psychotic. I just have mood swings and crying jags."
"Okay. Look, if you need anything, just let me know." Kian assured her, putting his hand on her arm.
Haley smiled at him, feeling like she had someone in her corner for once.
"Don't feel like I'm prying, but how old are you?" She asked him.
"Thirty-nine. And if you're wondering, my family is from Syria."
"Oh. So there's only a twelve year age gap. My dad was wrong as usual." Haley said, trying to laugh off the incident.
"You told me last night that he wasn't always like that." Kian pointed out.
"Yeah; when my mum was alive we were a happy family. We used to go to the mountains near the Welsh border on hiking trips. The Black Mountains are really beautiful."

Kian felt his throat tighten. It was where he had his accident. It was when the the pain and guilt was still fresh and raw. He suppressed the emotion that was threatening to bubble up and was able to answer her.
"It must have been a good time." He said.
The tension was gone and they went home for the night. Kian, for some reason, found himself thinking about Jac. Was Haley mentally fragile like her?