eighteen

toni stood there motionless.

the words 'then kiss me' were ricocheting off of the walls in her head.

she was frozen to the spot, breathing heavily.

she slowly turned around and saw cheryl, smiling a small smile, her eyes shining brighter than they ever had.

"thank god." toni whispered to herself before she quickly leaned in and caressed both sides of cheryl's face with her hands, crashing her lips onto the redhead's.

the kiss lasted for about a minute.

a minute of toni showing cheryl just how much she meant to her.

a minute of toni showing cheryl just how thankful she was that she was still here.

when the pair finally pulled away from each other, toni buried her head into the crook of cheryl's neck and cried tears of joy.

"hey baby." cheryl giggled lightly, stroking toni's back. "i'm so sorry." toni sobbed into cheryl's neck. "why?" cheryl stopped moving her hand up and down her girlfriend's t-shirt. "i chose both." toni spilled more tears down the redhead's skin. "shh, come on. lay with me." cheryl soothed the brunette, helping her onto the hospital bed.

after toni had positioned herself so that they were both comfortable, she linked her hand with cheryl's and tried to steady her breathing.

"what do you mean by 'you chose both'?" cheryl whispered softly. "i chose to save you and the twins even though it had the smallest possibility of anyone surviving." toni let go of cheryl's hand, thinking that she was mad at her. "i can't choose between family." toni choked out. "it's okay, tt. i understand. we're all here now though." cheryl continued to stroke her girlfriend's hair. "that's the thing, you and one of the twins were announced dead." toni trembled in her girlfriend's arms. "oh." cheryl hesitated for a while.
"are the twins okay now?" cheryl whispered anxiously. "yes, a miracle occurred and you both regained your heartbeats." toni nodded against cheryl's chest. "i'm sorry that you had to go through that, toni." cheryl sighed, kissing the smaller girl's forehead. "i would never be may at you for something like that. you know that right?" cheryl asked toni. "deep down i know, but i couldn't shake the small possibility." toni shrugged lightly.
"okay, well i hope that you now know that there is no possibility of me ever getting mad at you for making a choice between things like that." cheryl smiled a small smile.

"but, to change the subject, what are the genders of the twins?" cheryl beamed excitedly, starting to imagine their future together. "they're right here, do you want to look?" toni smiled, carefully getting off of the bed to try to not hurt her girlfriend. "yeah." cheryl nodded eagerly, slowly standing up, toni wrapping her arm around her waist to help and stabilize her.

cheryl really didn't care about the genders of the twins, she only cared for their health and happiness.

she took toni's hand into her own and looked into the incubators.

a boy and a girl.

internally, cheryl was jumping for joy, but her body was too exhausted to show her excitement.

"a boy and a girl." cheryl grinned happily, admiring their faces. "shit." toni's face completely dropped.
"what?" cheryl asked, a thick layer of worry glistened in her eyes. "we haven't even thought of names." toni held back a laugh. "oh my god." cheryl laughed, putting her hand over her mouth. "well to be fair, we were expecting them until another three more months." cheryl chuckled, sitting back on to the bed.
"touché." toni nodded.

***

it had been a couple of hours and jason and emma had come back to the hospital with oliver.