Jealous

Bethany POV

The car ride to the gala was filled with awkward tension. I caught Derek stealing a few glances at me a couple of times. I couldn't help but notice but,Derek looked so stunning in his tux, with his blonde hair slicked back. When we arrive at the gala, I decide to take one final glimpse at myself in the mirror. Derek turns to me and pushes a strand of my hair to my ear. I feel my body stiffen like cement. "You look breathtaking!" he whispers in a deep voice. There is something about his voice that makes me go absolutely wild inside. For a moment, we stare at each other in awe. His thumb caresses my cheek. "Derek-." My face turns red. Derek"s face is blank and saddened. "I don't know if we should...you...know...do this." Derek gives a understanding nod and silently mutters something under his breath. "I am so sorry!" I say sincerely. "No need to be sorry Bethany." I nod but feel a pang of guilt and remorse. I really do have deep affection for Derek and he obviously has deep affection for me but the thought of any intimatcy frightens me. "Derek I-," I struggle to speak, but only a small whine escapes.

Derek"s POV

It's my fault. I rushed her into something she wasn't ready for. Maybe friendship is the end of the line for us. As Bethany is getting out of the car,I rush to her aid,opening the door. Her brown eyes meet mine and we stare at each other for a brief momment. Damn her eyes get me every single time"Thank you," Bethany says in a faint whisper. I nod my head in acknowledgement.

Bethany POV

When we get inside, I am overwhelmed by flocks of people chattering away in their expensive ballgowns and tuxedos. "Wow" I mutter, admiring the enormous venue. "Yeah pretty significant event." There it is, a pound of guilt suppresses me. For a while, we linger around trying to cook up a conversation with each other,but there is only one topic on our mind. "So you... um.. wanna dance..."?, Derek asks me. A small grin appears on my face. "It would be my absolute pleasure!" I say grinning from ear to ear. Derek takes my hand in his and leads me to the ballroom floor. Our bodies connect as we sway to the beat of the music. I rest my chin on his shoulders as his fingers find the small of my back. I feel a shiver slowly creep up my back. I have danced with Derek copious times but something about this time feels different. It feels so right being in his arms. I feel a sense of assurance when I am with him. If only I had the guts to tell Derek my affection towards him. I feel my whole body tingle as his breathes down my neck. I resist the urge to kiss him because I don't want things to be more awkward than they already are. "I am so tired, I think I need to sit down," I lie. A look of disappointment spreads across Derek's face.I feel horrible for basically rejecting him multiple times.

Derek POV

"Can I get you a bite to eat?" I ask Bethany. "No but thank you, I ate before I got here." I nod up and down trying to decide what to say. "Bethany!" a kid who seems to be around her age exclaims. "Ryan, I haven't seen you in a while!" Bethany says as they embrace in a tight hug. I can't help but feel a twinge of jealously sting me."Yeah but you look.. gorgeous," he mumbles with a gasp. "Um.. thank you," Bethany awkwardly replies. "Who's this?" he asks. "I'm Derek, Bethany's friend," I say extending out my hand for a hand shake. "Nice to meet you Derek, I am Ryan, Bethany and I.. used to date." Bethany ducks her head down and avoids eye contact with the both of us. I stare at Bethany waiting for her to speak,but she remains silent. I guess Ryan senses the tension between us because he makes up some phony excuse to leave. "Interesting friend you got there." Bethany glares at me rolling her eyes in annoyance. "First of all, its all in the past, and Ryan means nothing to me. Besides why would you care"? Is she really asking me this question? It's obvious and pretty clear that I have feelings for her. "Maybe because I like you," I whisper. Her mouth is hangs low as she gives me a dumbfounded look. "I think I need to use the bathroom," she quickly says rushing to the restroom. "Wait!" But she is already gone. I let out a deep sigh. I just screwed up my chances with my dream girl.. great!