Ch. 5 ♡

" Dear Cameron Alexander Dallas,
There is no possible way to lose love interest in a person like you. Your stories about your childhood are weirdest, yet I still continue to listen to them. Your jokes aren't the funniest, yet I still laugh at them. Your cupcakes aren't the tastiest, yet I still pretend to like them. I try to keep my distance from you. It's impossible. I know that everyone wants their lover to love them back, but you can't. You can't fall in love with me. No matter how much I would want you to, you can't fall for me."

It was Saturday night and I was home as usual. My mom and dad were suppose to take me to my daily doctors appointment, but they decided to have fun without their kids– great parenting.

"Alex, I'm hungry," Adrian informed me.

I got up and made him a small snack before dinner. My mom promised they would get us something when they come back. Audrey was locked inside her room, doing something, and I sat on couch bored out of my mind. Maybe if I made friends I would have something to do.

I'll talk to the neighbors tomorrow. Ms. Loren is only 65.

The door bell rang. I ran up to answer it, I just needed something to do. I peeked through the hole and saw Cameron standing there.

"Cam, what are doing here?"

He smiled and made his way inside. I didn't invite him over. Is this what teenagers do? Come inside without being told to.

"You have a nice house," Cameron looked around, admiring everything.

"Thank you. Why are you here?"

I have to admit I sounded a little rude, but I had every right to.

"Just came to hangout.. Why?" Cameron shrugged.

"You didn't even call me."

"Oh, sorry. I forgot you're not used to this," Cameron apologized. "I'm coming over."

I laughed and walked to the backyard, hoping Cam would follow. I looked back and saw him right behind me. We climbed the treehouse that we had.

"Alex, where are you− Oh shit," Cameron tried to keep is balance, but failing because he slipped on a leaf.

I tried not to laugh but it was hard not to. Cameron's face turned red with embarrassment. We sat next to each other in silence for a couple of minutes, looking at the sky through the unfinished roof of the house.

"Cameron."

He looked away from the stars and looked at me.

"I need to tell you something. Actually, I need you to do me a favor," I moved in front of him so he can pay attention more.

"Yes, of course," He looked confused.

"I don't want you to fall in love with me," I said as nicely as I could. I don't think you can really do that nicely. 'I don't want to spend the rest of my life with you, I'm sorry'

"Why would you say that?" Cameron asked me, even more confused.

"I don't want to ruin our friendship. It's the first one I've had since what happened. I don't want to lose you."

It was the truth. It just wasn't all of it.

"Okay. That makes more sense," Cameron nervously laughed.

I looked at Cameron. I thought about us, what we would be. I thought about what will happen to us 10 years from now. Where we both would be.

Cameron and I aren't meant to have a future.